Author Topic: Empty Mecgar mags causing slide interference.  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Underwhere

Empty Mecgar mags causing slide interference.
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »
Got a few Mecgar mags. I tried them in my 1994 cz75 pre-b. 1994 should take all mags.

Interesting thing is that when I cycle the gun with my hand (riding the slide) the slide fails to move all the way forward. I need to give it a nudge to go the last 1/4".

This is on an empty mag.

If I drop the mag the gun cycles fine.
The same mag works fine on my CZ75B. They also have the same recoil spring.

I can't seem to locate any points of interference. No wear marks on the follower, feed lips etc.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:31:48 PM by Underwhere »

Offline Earl Keese

Re: Empty Mecgar mags causing slide interference.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »
Is the mag pushing up on the sear cage? Some pre-b's, when you file to fit newer mags will have this condition. I know you didn't have to file to fit, but maybe worth checking.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »
Are they the 16 round or the 17/19 round magazines?  I've never had an issue with the 16 round magazines but about half of the 19 round magazines will not fully insert into the mag well on my Pre B CZ 85.  Something about the dimensions are just a little "fatter" on some of the 19 round versions.

I never thought about the back of the magazine making contact with the sear cage (anything is possible).  If that's what is happening maybe the ejector is being pushed up against the groove in the bottom of the slide (seems like that would be a lot of "slop" though.  If it was moving that much it seems like there would be detectable differences in trigger pull/feel.

You should be able to removed the slide/barrel and insert a problem magazine into the mag. well and then look to see if it's making contact with the sear cage.  Wobble (or attempt to wobble) the sear cage up and down at the front, too, just to see if it's loose.

As for the slide not going quite forward when you slowly (hold it back, ride it forward, whatever it may be called) let the slide move forward, realize that won't happen when you are firing the pistol or releasing the slide from a magazine change.  I have a couple CZ's like that.  Easing the slide forward results in the slide stopping before it's fully forward/locked up.  Here's a picture of my Tactical Sport with the slide stopped just short of where it needs to be.  Just pushing on it with my thumb will move it forward - or letting it fly forward without babying it.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »
Good ideas.
I'll see how it fits with the slide off. Didn't consider the sear cage.

I do realize it won't be an issue when I'm actually shooting the gun..just irks me that it happens. It also makes me think my trigger set screws aren't correct because it's out of battery when I dry fire.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:45:39 PM »
It's the mag followers. I don't know why I didn't think of doing this:

I let the slide ride forward and the slide met some resistance somewhere.

I simply pushed down on the slide stop lever, in turn pushing down on the mag follower and the slide snapped forward.

I checked the sear and there was no contact.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 11:36:43 PM »
Just a guess:  Is the slide stop "notch" bevelled slightly or does it have fairly sharp edges where it interfaces with the mag follower.
The newer pistols are all bevelled/rounded to clear larger bullets;  but this might be an issue with your preB.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 04:37:23 AM »
Glad you figured it out.  Now you just have to figure out if it bothers you enough to figure out how to make it work the way you want it to.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 09:20:02 AM »
It's actually the very top of the plastic follower. I noticed some very light marks on it.

I'm not going to do anything about it. If it were metal on metal then that would be a different story.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
If you have another slide stop that'll fit the preB it wouldn'hurt to try it.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 08:03:58 PM »
It's actually the very top of the plastic follower. I noticed some very light marks on it.

I'm not going to do anything about it. If it were metal on metal then that would be a different story.

see post  with pics of the slide stop that gives more clearance:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=38489.15

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »

see post  with pics of the slide stop that gives more clearance:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=38489.15
Thanks. I think the pics are down but I think I get the idea.