Author Topic: Kadet kit for Shadow 2 Question  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Rex Kramer

Kadet kit for Shadow 2 Question
« on: April 10, 2018, 11:09:52 AM »

So one of these showed up at my doorstep yesterday so I decided to put it on my Shadow 2.

Haven?t had a chance to shoot it yet and won?t for at least another week.

Question is the kit comes with two mainsprings, a red one and a blue one. Any idea which is best to use?

Offline painter

Re: Kadet kit for Shadow 2 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »
I could only guess that there is a spring for full power ammo, like mini mags, and one for target type ammo that runs under 1100 fps.

Lighter springs are generally longer with lighter gauge wire.

Can you post pics of both?
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Rex Kramer

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
I could only guess that there is a spring for full power ammo, like mini mags, and one for target type ammo that runs under 1100 fps.

Lighter springs are generally longer with lighter gauge wire.

Can you post pics of both?

I?m out of town at the moment but I?ll post a pic tomorrow afternoon.   

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »
I'll watch for it.

Another member mentioned that the kits don't come with any literature. Is this the case with yours also?

but not the ability.

Offline Rex Kramer

Kadet kit for Shadow 2 Question
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »
No literature other than a complete manual for a Shadow 2. Nothing about the Kadet upper except the test target.

Three mainsprings in total. I would imagine they are for just as you said. I just didn?t know if they were the same as previous Kadet uppers.

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »
The original Kadet kits only came with one spring.

I'd say those would be no color, heaviest. Blue mid. Red lightest.

What ammo are you planning on using? I'd use the heaviest spring that gave reliable function.

but not the ability.

Offline RegionRat

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 02:06:09 AM »
Red = Hi Vel
Black = Std
Blue = Sub sonic

I really like my new 1612 kit too.

Offline painter

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 06:27:19 AM »
Red = Hi Vel
Black = Std
Blue = Sub sonic

I really like my new 1612 kit too.
Where did that info come from?

but not the ability.

Offline RegionRat

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
Since there is no manual for the 01612 kit yet, I asked on the phone at CZC when I received the kit.

So far, it feels like they were correct. I will use a force gage to verify it if it is helpful.

I got away with Aguila Pistol Match, CCI Pistol Match, on one end of the spectrum, and then Fed American Eagle 38gr HiVel on the other end, all with just the regular (black) spring. Only thing obvious with the HiVel was the louder report. Shooting in a lane at the indoor alone, I can?t judge the ejection pattern.

I didn?t get an answer as to when CZ would release documentation for this version. What I wanted to know, aside from the springs, was the recommended cleaning procedure, but I figured that out myself.

The front sight block appears to be polymer (PEEK?), and the pin is a snug fit in the block that keys to a cut under the bbl. Because the block is polymer and the bbl is hard, you should be careful to align the block to the bbl cut carefully before pushing. The pin is radiused on both ends and should forgive small misalignments. A rough alignment guide is to close the slide and breech, then align the block back against the slide. You should be able to insert and remove this pin by hand using a tool or punch. This sigh block removal allows the bbl to be removed from the slide for breech to muzzle cleaning with a rod. I?m sure a daily patchworm pull through is enough most of the time.

I?ll run all three against a force gage to check closed and open forces as soon as I can and report back.

ETA: What they told me seems correct. The blue spring is a lighter gage wire at about 0.032", the red and black are the same at about 0.035"
So, for the longer red spring compared to the black spring, I'm getting roughly 8 - 8.5# Red, versus about 7.75 - 8 # black, followed by the blue at something on the order of 6.5#. So it seems to match what they said for now. Of course the thing is to test with your ammo regardless.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:01:44 PM by RegionRat, Reason: Added spring estimates. »

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »
Just to be clear and avoid further confusion for someone searching, the original post states
"Question is the kit comes with two mainsprings, a red one and a blue one. Any idea which is best to use?"

The picture however shows what appears to be recoil springs. Based on the weights that Region provided, I will say they are recoil, not main.

I am not being nit pickety, I just don't want anyone to chase their tail at a later date.

Ty

Rich

Offline painter

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 08:20:43 AM »
Good catch Rich. I read mainspring, and automatically registered recoil.

but not the ability.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »
Is the Slide "One" or "Two" piece, Steel or Alloy ?
The Mags look to be Polymer, like the "P" Series KADET Units, not Two Piece Steel like a "75" KADET
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline Rex Kramer

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 09:05:35 PM »
Just to be clear and avoid further confusion for someone searching, the original post states
"Question is the kit comes with two mainsprings, a red one and a blue one. Any idea which is best to use?"

The picture however shows what appears to be recoil springs. Based on the weights that Region provided, I will say they are recoil, not main.

I am not being nit pickety, I just don't want anyone to chase their tail at a later date.

Ty

Rich

You're right, sorry about that. I was referring to the recoil springs.  Fingers got ahead of my brain.

Offline RegionRat

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 12:47:51 AM »
Is the Slide "One" or "Two" piece, Steel or Alloy ?
The Mags look to be Polymer, like the "P" Series KADET Units, not Two Piece Steel like a "75" KADET

The bbl and front sight block are stationary and the slide moves.

A special slide stop comes with the kit.

The mags are indeed polymer and have a nice external follower button that makes loading easy.

Offline MsDV8

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
I just left the stock main spring that I have in the 9mm and it shoots just fine.  Two failure to feeds with CCI ammo and zero with Federal.