Author Topic: Bren 805 Bayonet Presentation (lots of photos!!)  (Read 9011 times)

Offline BKmetz

• I'm 100% Slavic so CZ works for me.
Bren 805 Bayonet Presentation (lots of photos!!)
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:13:05 PM »
We all know the Bren 805 has a bayonet lug and CZ makes a bayonet for it. If one owns a Bren 805 S1 carbine with the 16" barrel, attaching the bayonet on it is not a good look.

Are there any options to make the bayonet more practical without converting the rifle to a 14" barrel? Yes! Convert the bayonet to a 'combat knife' as CZ-USA also refers to it. The bayonet comes with these two extra pieces. It takes all of 5 minutes to install them and then one has a wicked combat knife instead of a bayonet.

On the pommel there is a #20 torx bolt that holds the pommel, handle, and hand guard to the blade tang. Remove it. Pay close attention to those two pins.

Once the pommel is removed, again, pay close attention to those pins. I thought they were a press fit and I needed a drift punch to remove. NOT!. If the pommel is facing down, the pins will simply fall out of the holes.

I spent 5 minutes looking on the basement floor for one pin and the spring.

To avoid losing small pommel parts, put a piece of tape over the end of the pommel to secure them.

Remove the handle and hand guard off the blade tang. See that little silver crescent shaped piece of metal by the tang? That's another little bit you watch closely so it won't get away.

That little crescent widget is a nut that the torx bolt screws into and holds the knife together. It is a very loose fit and will fall out as soon as you remove the plastic handle. And I almost lost this piece the first time I removed the handle.

Another view of the nut and how it's oriented to the blade tang.

Now install the handle piece together with the combat knife guard and the knife pummel without the bayonet lug. It does make for a serious BFK. Big Freaking Knife.

I plan to make one change to the bayonet/combat knife. The finish is a heavy black paint that is not all that durable. It reminds a bit of the polycoat CZ uses on some of its pistols. There are wear marks on the blade from the few times I've removed the knife from its scabbard. I've decided to have the blade and the two hand guards Cerakoted for a more durable finish.

So there you have it! Enjoy your bayonet/combat knives!

:)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:08:46 AM by BKmetz, Reason: grammar & spelling »
You can always tell a Slovak, but you can't tell him much. Just ask my wife. ;)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Bren 805 Bayonet Presentation (lots of photos!!)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:35:58 PM »
Nifty! I wonder if some clever fellow could make an extender that would latch on the existing bayonet lug to allow the bayonet to latch on with the correct amount of blade showing? Just a random thought for any machinists out there.
How well does the steel hold an edge? Do you know what kind of steel it is? I love the tanto look.

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 04:11:53 PM »

Haha. I was thinking the same thing. My gunsmith just bought a small CNC machine and might be up for a small project.

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 10:24:21 PM »
How well does the steel hold an edge? Do you know what kind of steel it is? I love the tanto look.

There is a decent edge on the blade, but my Benchmade pocket knife was much sharper out of the box. The battleknife could use some time with a hone. I haven't done anything with it besides cut slits in paper like everyone does with a sharp new knife. I have no idea what CZ spec'ed out for steel, but it's a sturdy beast for sure.

Offline thehun

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:26:30 AM »
Kind of like the Glock knife...its made out of great steel but dull new....couple of passes on the knife machine and its a great piece of kit.

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 12:40:52 PM »
I assume CZ USA is the only source for these?  (and they are out of stock at the moment)

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »
I assume CZ USA is the only source for these?  (and they are out of stock at the moment)

Nope. I ordered the bayonet from euro-military.com in the Czech Republic.

Offline vietec

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »
I went 14 inch but had a problem once I needed to run a suppressor mount. Ended up 3d printing a collar to make it wobble less, you guys with 16 inch barrels may be able to make a similar set up if you REALLY want a bayonet.

anything