Author Topic: New Magazine Manufacturer?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline biggerhammer

Re: New Magazine Manufacturer?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
Thanks for the info and those great comparison pics. Bummer on the lack of "USA" markings :(.

Offline Mr.E.G.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 12:58:15 AM »
It's interesting to see the approach they took on the new mags. It seems very clear that they were trying to address the cracked feed lips.

Offline 3guneric

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 04:24:59 AM »
Seems like before they just "appear" on a website that you would hear an announcement, reviews, or details of the improvements.  Did I miss something?

Offline mistertwo

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 10:16:43 AM »
Oddly enough I first saw them on CZ USA's Instagram page during the NRAAM. 

Offline Arachnid

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
IMHO, doing it quietly is the only option given the number of original mags that are out there and the potential to otherwise stir up a whole lot of discontent.

Furthermore, they would have had to do a major amount of controlled testing to make any claims about improved feed lips or other 'problem solving' improvements such as a different polymer. They are leaving it to the court of public opinion - which I think is the right move for them, for now - and I hope their new mags turn out great. It's actually really important that they do! Even for their aftermarket competitors because it solidifies the platform.

It's quite the marketing conundrum with the other argument being that without specifics, it's hard to convince the skeptics (like me) to take a chance on it. Perhaps more information is forthcoming at a later date.

The lack of USA made components however (according to the above post), may be a sign that CZ USA is not all that committed themselves just yet...???

Anybody seen these being shipped with new firearms?

Offline 3guneric

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 05:42:47 PM »
Well I would eagerly buy some if they (CZ) made the case that these were the cat's meow.  This way you are left wondering is this another possible problem child.  We just don't know.

Offline eastman

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »
can't say for certain, since I don't get all of the insider info, but the latest info was the US factory online by end of summer. These may be a prototype/new design for what will be produced at the US factory soon.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline John A.

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 11:17:19 AM »
if I weren't afraid to tear one up, I'd try to trim the foot off of the new follower to see how many rounds it would increase capacity.

I'd bet 2.

https://i.imgur.com/WzIbo23.jpg
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:18:58 AM by John A. »
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline toddm

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
Good that they've attempted to address it, although way too late.

I'll see how people feel about these new mags in a year before I go buying any, hopefully CZ is replacing the old makes that fail with these newer ones.  Everyone loved the original mags for quite awhile, until they started having issues, so until it's 6-12 months from now and everyone still loves the new mags it's too early to say one way or the other if they are better.   I've learned too many times never pay to be a beta tester.

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »
So, I received a couple of the new magazines yesterday, shot 50 or so rounds today. They fit and function well and drop better, though not perfectly.

That's good, of course.

One difference I did notice is the cutout for the bolt at the back of the magazine is significantly larger, that is deeper, than the originals.

I thought it was absurdly deep for 9mm, so I tried .40S&W, which went in OK and presented a lot of the case head for the bolt to strip. About 20 rounds of .40S&W was about all I could fit.

Wasn't CZ considering a .40S&W conversion barrel?

Another change I noticed was that the follower was lacking the raised rectangular section at the top. Not sure why it was there in the first place, but that portion is now rounded and smooth.

Offline Buckshot Barry

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »
Mine arrived today and easily drops free from ALL 3 bolt positions.

My carbine is an early 2017 model with the mag area unmodified.

None of my other USA CZ mags, both 20 and 30 round, drop free when the bolt is locked back with the slide lock.

I'm a happy camper!

Offline mistertwo

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 12:44:31 AM »
I ran the new mags in my Scorpion last weekend and they ran fine other than a tight fit.  Some light sanding on the mags really helped w/ seating the mags and release.  My Scorpion is an early 2016 w/ a PMM mag release.  I ordered some of the original translucent mags which ended up being 2017 production.  Oddly enough they fit similarly to the brand new mags in my Scorpion.  They will need a little less sanding to get working right in my Scorpion.  The 2015 production mags seem to be the only mags that work trouble free in my Scorpion. 

Offline ndmiller

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 08:44:29 PM »
I've shot many 1000's of regular and subsonic suppressed though my SBR'd EVO with the 6 original OEM 30 rounders I bought over a year ago.  Have another dozen in the package, but haven't had 1 issue yet with original OEM 30's or the 2 20's that came with the pistol.  Would pick some up if they were available at local LGS, but otherwise wouldn't go out of my way.

Offline brisix

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 11:35:36 PM »
The change at the top of the mag with larger "round" cutout is probably their for the same reason airliner windows have curved corners vs 90 degree.  Just like with old airliner my gen II mags always failed at the 90 degree corner.  Speculation of course.

Offline 3guneric

« Reply #29 on: Today at 03:06:08 PM »
Does anyone know if any CZ reps comment here?  I would think that they would be here answering and commenting on these issues.  You get on Falfiles and often there are comments from industry types.

I will credit the guys here like Manticore, Prepper, and HBI.