Author Topic: Rattle in my P-01 after loading extra round  (Read 514 times)

Offline inletman

Rattle in my P-01 after loading extra round
« on: May 13, 2018, 09:18:54 PM »
As many of us do, I load the magazine in my new P01, pull slide back to bring a round in the chamber....then remove the magazine and put another round in the magazine. After I have done this, I notice a rattle in the gun when picking it up or moving it around.

It does not do this if I just bring a round into the chamber, but do not put the extra round in the magazine.

Can someone explain this-thanks

Offline GBUS

Re: Rattle in my P-01 after loading extra round
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:50:22 AM »
In double stack mags the rounds are staggered and it just works out that with the dimensions of the 9mm case and the inside dimensions of the 75 mags and others, you get that triangle of force where some rounds are pushing against the mag body more then against each other and thus a rattle.
I tap the rounds to the rear and down which sometimes helps.
I also don't plus load my double stack guns to minimize spring bind, set, micro fractures or whatever you want to call it. I'll just call it peace of mind.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:13:26 AM »
Like GBUS said ^^^^^^^.
With the CZ mags especially,  they are double stacked after the top three or so.  As cartridges are fed,  there is a transition from double to single stack that leaves a little slack around a couple of cartridges.

TMI but,  There was a member here that "X-Rayed" a loaded 16 rd mag and it was interesting to see the cartridges cycle.   When you show 5 rds at the witness hole,  it's NOT the fifth rd you're looking at.  ;D

"Sometimes" using the 10% extra power mag springs will stop the rattle. Long cartridge OALs may not rattle
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:58:46 AM by 1SOW »

Offline ARodPDT117

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »
Thanks for the info, I was curious about this also. My P07 mags do it, but my P09 mags do not. Only happens when I fully load the mags for me, if I leave a round out, no rattle

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
Well, it's one way to know you've got a full magazine.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline bpnkrtn

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
Well, it's one way to know you've got a full magazine.

M144ME ... a real "glass half full" kind of guy ...

Offline inletman

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 09:35:49 PM »
CZ rep said they do not recommend putting more rounds than the the mag holds.....no adding an additional round after chambering a round. I guess that answered my question.....just chamber a round and carry decocked or use safety if your gun has that.

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 09:46:18 PM »
I have found that both my 14- and 16-round mags rattle with a full complement. It doesn't bother me too much.
Ruger rimfire fan

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 04:57:56 AM »
CZ rep said they do not recommend putting more rounds than the the mag holds.....no adding an additional round after chambering a round. I guess that answered my question.....just chamber a round and carry decocked or use safety if your gun has that.

I'm not sure where these so called CZ reps are coming from with their misinformation but this is nonsense. Every pistol on the CZ-USA web site is listed as the magazine capacity +1 so how he can say they don't recommend it is contradictory to their own info.
I have always topped off my mags and always will.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 06:35:29 AM »
I have always dropped the magazine and replaced that round that is in the chamber.  Be a real shame to need that one round and not have it.  After all, you ain't carrying for the fun or the looks.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline GBUS

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 11:21:59 PM »
I have always dropped the magazine and replaced that round that is in the chamber.  Be a real shame to need that one round and not have it.  After all, you ain't carrying for the fun or the looks.

Do what you want but don't insinuate that an extra round is going to be the difference between life and death for every SD encounter, because that's just plain silly if you look at self defense shooting statistics.
If you're comfortable with a single stack 9mm, 45ACP or 19, 20 rounds in your carry gun, well great more power to you. No one knows your specific carry needs or a given daily threat level you plan around.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:44 AM »
Clear statement.  You just read it different than I typed it.  The magazine in my EDC may be the standard magazine shipped with the pistol.  The magazine(s) in my IWB pouch or my pocket are magazines made for the full sized models and also have a +2 base plate on them.  If I'm in a vehicle I also have a couple/four extra larger magazines in the door pocket.

I don't carry because I'll need it.  I carry in case I need it.  If I need it, I want more than what statistics say I'll need.  Averages are averages, not necessarily real life.  Better to arrive at the end of the fight with unused ammo rather than to arrive there with an empty pistol/rifle/shotgun.

Offline rhart

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 08:52:33 AM »
Clear statement.  You just read it different than I typed it.  The magazine in my EDC may be the standard magazine shipped with the pistol.  The magazine(s) in my IWB pouch or my pocket are magazines made for the full sized models and also have a +2 base plate on them.  If I'm in a vehicle I also have a couple/four extra larger magazines in the door pocket.

I don't carry because I'll need it.  I carry in case I need it.  If I need it, I want more than what statistics say I'll need.  Averages are averages, not necessarily real life.  Better to arrive at the end of the fight with unused ammo rather than to arrive there with an empty pistol/rifle/shotgun.

Amen. Better to have and not need than to need and not have...

(edit) Ha, ha! I just realized my fav saying is at the bottom of your post.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:55:19 AM by rhart »
"In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness)."

"You can only fight the way you practice."

"If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Offline roberthleeii

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 08:55:44 AM »
I totally support everyone carrying what they are comfortable (size, capacity, caliber) with but not topping off your magazine just seems ridiculous.... or just lazy...
If you are carrying with a round in the chamber you should be comfortable enough to top off your mag. I am sorry for saying that and don't want to ruffel any feathers but I think it needed to be said. Statistically I am sure none of us will never need our guns but if the need ever arises I don't want to give up a free round.

Edit: if the mags were not ment to be carried to max would you only load 13 if you carry with out a round in the chamber?.?.?.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:58:01 AM by roberthleeii »

Offline rhart

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00:04 AM »
In double stack mags the rounds are staggered and it just works out that with the dimensions of the 9mm case and the inside dimensions of the 75 mags and others, you get that triangle of force where some rounds are pushing against the mag body more then against each other and thus a rattle.
I tap the rounds to the rear and down which sometimes helps.
I also don't plus load my double stack guns to minimize spring bind, set, micro fractures or whatever you want to call it. I'll just call it peace of mind.

+1 on tapping the rounds down - may not always work, but many times does. I like to rap the back of the magazine a couple of times on a hard surface  whenever I load. It's become second nature - especially on .22 mags at steel challenge matches.
"In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness)."

"You can only fight the way you practice."

"If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you."
- Miyamoto Musashi

anything