Author Topic: SAR B6c (SAR B6p Compact) Ammo Question  (Read 4249 times)

Offline RScottie

SAR B6c (SAR B6p Compact) Ammo Question
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:40:33 PM »
I have been shooting my SAR B6c quite a bit and it seems to eat everything I put in it.
In the manual, it does not mention +P ammo at all but does say "Avoid using MP5 bullets!"
I am not sure but have been told that MP5 ammunition is hotter than +P.
And what about NATO spec ammo? Would that be OK?

I was offered a good buy on a case of NATO spec 124 grain but would not get it if it will mess up my gun.

Offline CZATC

Re: SAR B6c (SAR B6p Compact) Ammo Question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:47:36 PM »
This is screen shot from SAMMI Z299.3-2015. Winchester 124gr 9mm NATO Q4318 is listed as 1140fps in sales catalogues and websites. In general I would say it is over SAAMI standard and therefore +p but it doesn't reach the minimum they show in their test? It is definitely not sub machine gun spec. Pressure can be influenced by many things in the system.
     I would reach out to the importer of the SAR and ask. I do recall it being a no no in the past but I cannot find current documentation to back that up. When in doubt i default to the manufacturer's recommendation and do not run anything over pressure.
     Some manuals even say the firearm will hold up to it but require more frequent service meaning replacing wear parts and springs on an abbreviated schedule. That's fine for the Glock and M&P but the SAR doesn't have the part support to risk it in my opinion. Hopefully someone with a SAR will chime in as I hate for you to miss a deal. I recently walked out of a store with 1k of fiocchi 115 for 189 + tax. Deals are to be had with patience lol

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

CZ 75 SP01-bone stock....CGW bushing and 85 trigger in parts box waiting
TriStar C100 Tungsten Cerakote-CGW kit upon reintroduction :)

Offline snakeye

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:20:48 PM »
I have shot a lot of Winchester NATO not only with my B6PC but other pistols with no problem. NATO 9mm is not loaded to +P.  I have never seen a manufacturer say you could not shoot NATO spec ammo in their guns, a lot of them do specify that you don't shoot +P

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:25:34 PM by snakeye »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »
I was offered a good buy on a case of NATO spec 124 grain but would not get it if it will mess up my gun.

Made by whom?  Quality can vary considerably, depending upon manufacture.  Stay away from Egyptian, Chinese, and British Radway Green!
Also, reason for surplus?  Contract Production over-runs can be a great deal.
Some lots of Ammunition are rejected because it did not meet Velocity Spec which are okay for plinking.

Regardless, most surplus NATO Spec Ammunition should not hurt your B6PC a bit.
My SAR B6P has digested about 200 rounds of Winchester 124gr 9mm NATO Q4318 without issue or signs of wear, so far.
I regularly use Federal Champion Aluminum 115 grain FMJ in my B6P which seems hotter yet, with no issues.

In the past, NATO spec and USA M882 9mm ammunition reached 1225 FPS (+P) or so.  Now the energy bar seems to have been lowered to save wear and tear on weapons and rarely does velocity exceed 1140 fps.  Comparibly, in the past, commercial standard Federal American Eagle 124 grain FMJ reached an average velocity of 1150 fps and probably still does.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-ae-9mm-luger-ammo-124-gr-fmj-ae9ap-p-659.aspx
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:11:03 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline RScottie

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 03:12:27 PM »

Made by whom?  Quality can vary considerably, depending upon manufacture.  Stay away from Egyptian, Chinese, and British Radway Green!
Also, reason for surplus?  Contract Production over-runs can be a great deal.
Some lots of Ammunition are rejected because it did not meet Velocity Spec which are okay for plinking.

Regardless, most surplus NATO Spec Ammunition should not hurt your B6PC a bit.
My SAR B6P has digested about 200 rounds of Winchester 124gr 9mm NATO Q4318 without issue or signs of wear, so far.
I regularly use Federal Champion Aluminum 115 grain FMJ in my B6P which seems hotter yet, with no issues.

In the past, NATO spec and USA M882 9mm ammunition reached 1225 FPS (+P) or so.  Now the energy bar seems to have been lowered to save wear and tear on weapons and rarely does velocity exceed 1140 fps.  Comparibly, in the past, commercial standard Federal American Eagle 124 grain FMJ reached an average velocity of 1150 fps and probably still does.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-ae-9mm-luger-ammo-124-gr-fmj-ae9ap-p-659.aspx
It is made in Germany by MEN.

He has half a case left and wants $85 for it.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:02:14 PM »
It is made in Germany by MEN.

He has half a case left and wants $85 for it.

Buy it!  8)  I think you'll like it!  :)  Too bad you could not have gotten a whole case of it.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:04:24 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

anything