Author Topic: PSA - It's summer again (heat/humidity/carry = sweat = rust)  (Read 882 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
I'm an over oiler.  My rifle cases have oil spots inside.  My AR15's spit excess oil on me when I shoot them the first few rounds.  My pistols have wet spots here and there.  My clothes sometimes get oil spots on them.

One of the spots put a drop of lube is on/in the grip screws.  I then use a brush to distribute it around the inside/outside of the screw head.

Got back from a five day road trip Sunday (several states) and took my CZ85 Compact clone.  Carried it everyday, whether driving, riding with relatives, shopping or just hanging around the house/deck.  Carried concealed, right side.

Got home Sunday afternoon and when I pulled the pistol out of the holster to put it up I thought I saw a funny spot on the left side grip screw.  I meant to pull it back down and take a closer look but I was carrying bags from one spot to another, putting dirty clothes in the dirty clothes hamper, getting the bag ready for the next trip (always packed and ready), going out to visit with my buddies at the dog pen, etc., etc., etc.

The next day I grabbed the pistol down and sure enough, that "funny" looking spot was some ugly reddish brown rust on the left side grip screw.  That side of the pistol rubs against my skin on my right side if I'm carrying under a t-shirt (still rubs against a sweaty t-shirt if I sweat enough and am carrying with the t-shirt tucked in and a button up shirt over top that - for looks and concealment of the pistol).

Removed the screw/grip, the rust appears to have been caught early enough that no finish damage, and wiped it off with an oily rag and some extra oil.  Wiped down the frame (polycoat is more durable than blued steel, or I might have had rust under the grip, too.)

I just ordered some stainless steel grip screws.

This time of the year, keep a closer eye on your EDC pistol condition and increase maintenance to prevent issues.

I sure would like to my EDC carry Compacts coated with something more durable and rust resistant than polycoat, but that'll be a year or two down the road (most likely).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Chicago Dude

Re: PSA - It's summer again (heat/humidity/carry = sweat = rust)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
Very good tips. Thanks for reminder !

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
The order of 8 stainless steel grip screws came in today.

Replaced the screws in the four of the compacts (P01 Omega, CZ85 Compact, CZ75 Compact my wife carries and the steel framed P01 Compact that I converted to SAO.)

I'm hoping they are stainless steel.  They are blackened and phillips head screws. 

All four of the Compacts had rubber grips on them from the factory.  Only the P01 Omega had lock  washers on the screws.  Because the frame is aluminum???  Or  just one of those little CZ things that get changed up/crossed over so much?
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline EDCzechnology

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »
Good idea. Being a large frame guy i sweat pretty bad. I have found that using a light layer of clear nail polish will prevent rust on the grip screws. Every thing else gets soaked in Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
My P-07s recently took a trip to Florida and back... the difference in the climate there and here in NC resulted in a bit of surface rust in a few spots. Some oil on a Q-tip fixed it right up...

Since then I have kept more of an eye on them... :-)
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline JFen

PSA - It's summer again (heat/humidity/carry = sweat = rust)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:37:46 PM »
I read this thread throughout the day while working. I run a larger landscape maintenance firm in SW Fla- hot and humid most of the time. I started carrying a PCR 2 months ago. So when I got home today I checked the skin side grip on the gun. I saw some reddish discoloration on the grip screw and the decocker. The decocker is inside the the Kevlar so I thought that was unusual.  So I remove the grip screw to look at it and low and behold it was just some red cotton fuzz from the shirt I was wearing. Same thing on the decocker.

I any event I decided to ease a coat of oil over the exterior anyway.

Sounds  like something I?ll need to be prepared to do weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything