Author Topic: Range days at Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range  (Read 968 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Range days at Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range
« on: May 23, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »
On a little family trip to St George, Utah. This is a city in Southern Utah, about an hour north of Vegas. As part of the trip I?m going to Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range every morning. I?ll go for 4 mornings, so I just bought a month pass for $35. I can schedule any of their bays that have all sorts of steel targets and paper target stands. For the time savings alone in setting up and take down that is worth it, let alone all the awesome bays and targets!

https://southernutahpracticalshootingrange.com/

On this trip I want to work on wide target transitions, moving into positions, shooting on the move, and draws.

Wednesday 5-23-2018:
Wide target transitions- I didn?t walk off distances but the steel was probably 20 yards apart and I was about 10 yards back. I got down around 2.5 seconds on splits. I definitely need to dry fire tonight to get a fast movement.
Draws: I am drawing DA since that is the first shot for Production and how I would usually carry. My reaction time to the timer is a weakness. If I can shave more time there I would see easy gains. I was running around 1.2-1.3 seconds to first shot. Best was 1.16 seconds. I should have that down to 0.9 by the end of the week.
Entering positions: Today I set up my first shot at about 18 yards and I would then run up to about 10 yards and fire my second shot. I got my time to around 2.7 seconds pretty regularly. I feel like my exit from the first shot needs a ton of work! Reaction to the timer is also causing lost time. I?ll work on starts without my gun just to work out the issues.
Odds ?N Ends: I did some shots just working on reacting to the timer. 0.2 was where I was stuck. I?ve felt sharper in dry fire. I just felt delayed and wasn?t connecting better. I tried some runs on a little stage. That was towards the end and I sucked. I think I had gotten into speed mode in my other drills and the analysis mode and I didn?t stop to pull back into match mode. A good lesson on stopping and getting a drink of water or something and resetting what mode I am shooting in. I?ll get pics tomorrow.

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Range days at Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 02:41:59 PM »
Thursday 5-24-2018

Yesterday my hand got a little dried out and cracked from shooting. This morning I figured I would throw a band aid on it for shooting, but that didn?t work too well.

It kept splitting while I tried to shoot. The beaver tail just rubbed deeper with each cycle of recoil.

If the beginning I set up a drag race type drill. Meant to work running forward to shoot. It took a little work to see how to set up to start running when both feet have to be on the line, but I think I got a system. I did maybe 10 runs and realized the throbbing split in my hand had become persistent during grip and I just wasn?t gettin much out of practice. Plus it was making a mess of my gun, which I didn?t want to clean.

I tried the plate rack and it just wasn?t worth it. My grip was loosening and my front sight was going high, causing me to shoot high. Usually I can power through things causing a bad practice and turn out good results. Not happening today. I just packed up at that point. I?ll be back tomorrow. I think I?ll get some super glue and cover this little wound up so I?m good to go tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:45:17 PM by Scarlett Pistol »

Offline JFen

Re: Range days at Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 03:18:52 PM »
That looks like a really cool range...I wish I had something like that here in swampy SWFla.

Ever shoot with gloves? Might help with the beaver bite you have  8)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 05:22:35 PM »
That looks like a really cool range...I wish I had something like that here in swampy SWFla.

Ever shoot with gloves? Might help with the beaver bite you have  8)

It?s a pretty awesome range! Wish there was one in Salt Lake City too.

No... I have a pair but haven?t had this problem before and left them at home. I wish I had them though!

Offline scottyboy

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »
Hey Scarlet - That hand... I wish I didn't see it  :o but that looks painful.  I get the same type of thing when I'm camping in those hot dry places in Utah but not that bad!

My buddy has done a few USPSA events down there and I've looked into a few training classes they have there for pistol and AR.  Looks like a cool place and a cool bunch of people.  I love how you can drive up to one the bays.

Sucks you had to put up with the discomfort!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
Hey Scarlet - That hand... I wish I didn't see it  :o but that looks painful.  I get the same type of thing when I'm camping in those hot dry places in Utah but not that bad!

My buddy has done a few USPSA events down there and I've looked into a few training classes they have there for pistol and AR.  Looks like a cool place and a cool bunch of people.  I love how you can drive up to one the bays.

Yeah... I thought about not posting those pics but I didn?t want to sound like a sissy. I wonder if a little Vaseline might prevent this in future trips.

Btw I finally went to Gallenson?s after you posted that pic of their CZ corner. DANG!!! They are loaded with CZ goodness!!! Thanks for sharing such valuable info!

Offline JFen

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 06:21:49 PM »

Yeah... I thought about not posting those pics but I didn?t want to sound like a sissy. I wonder if a little Vaseline might prevent this in future trips.

This helps me during the 14 days a year  when the humidity is down after a cold front finally gets down here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 07:11:51 PM »
I've heard using flex wrap bandage holds up the best.

Nexcare Absolute Waterproof First Aid Tape, 1 in x 5 yds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNHOV0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aA0bBbR03ET59

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »
Those are great suggestions. I?ll swing by the store tonight.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »
Yesterday evening my hand got a little infected... Must have been the grease and what not from the gun getting in there. I went and got some hydrogen peroxide and the recommended bandage. Got it cleaned out and it was much larger than I thought. The bandage works!

Friday May 25 2018
I got my little lady up and brought her along to shoot her Savage Rascal. This was her first time shooting, ever. Dave, at Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range, was super nice to her and we had a great time. Here's some video of some of the shooting. We also shot The Scarlett Pistol, but I didn't get video of that. I held that thing as firm as I could while she pulled the trigger and she was pissed that I didn't aim well enough to hit the target. You can see some of her 4 year old sass when she misses in the video...

Update: Dave snagged a picture and posted it to their Facebook page. He said they love when people show up with their families and kids to help them learn the shooting sports.

https://www.facebook.com/southernutahpracticalshootingrange/posts/1939984962681128

After she was done she went and sat in the Subaru and watched some Netflix show. I shot 80 rounds or so. The big bandage on my finger made it so I couldn't work the safety with my strong hand and just made things a littler tricky. I made sure accuracy was still there, did some wide transitions, and wrapped up.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:32:46 PM by Scarlett Pistol »

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 10:18:53 PM »
Glad to hear the bandage worked!  I haven't needed to use mine yet, but I've got some in the range bag.

anything