Author Topic: Does Red Dot training help Point-Shoot capability?  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Vinny

Does Red Dot training help Point-Shoot capability?
« on: May 24, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

The more I use a red dot, ignoring the BUIS, focusing instead with both eyes on the target, the faster and more accurate I seem to be getting at point-shoot with my small non-RDS handguns.

I think with my B.U.G.'s I was just wasting too much time squinting at the sights; instead of presenting consistently (requirement of red dot), focusing on target, and (maybe) bringing the front iron into the picture.

Is this just my imagination; trying to justify my investment in red dots for my larger handguns? lol   ::)
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
Does Red Dot training help Point-Shoot capability?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
I have found that working with a red dot has improved my shooting across the board.

The awareness that comes with consistency is a big part of it... as is knowing what I really need to see from irons for a given shot.

(I spent way too much time and effort on the sights in days past...)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:55:04 AM by s0nspark »
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline bpnkrtn

Re: Does Red Dot training help Point-Shoot capability?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »
I believe the red dot has helped me "get on target" noticeably better/faster.  I notice this with dry fire especially (I'm a rank amateur/beginner in all this).  As I put my focus on the teddy bear that sits on top of the chest of drawers at the end of the hall and draw and present ... more often than not the dot is on the bears head ... observing ALL safety rules. 

Problem is that my wife keeps hiding the bear from me ...

Offline Vinny

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »
Bear-ly missed??  ;D

Sorry, bad joke.

But really, that's what I was talking about. The dot gives you immediate feedback and helps improve your presentation. Something you can practice with dry fire.

I think the improvements in presentation may also translate to non-RDS guns as well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:52:11 AM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Richrit

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 08:31:29 PM »
I agree that using a Red-Dot can dramatically increased your accuracy. I believe it has a lot to do with with muscle memory/training.

Offline bpnkrtn

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:22:58 PM »
I think the improvements in presentation may also translate to non-RDS guns as well.

I agree with this while-heartedly!

I also agree that it was a "not so good" joke  ;D  And as I was coming down the hall to the computer I noticed that the bear is MIA ... again.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 09:27:39 PM »
And as I was coming down the hall to the computer I noticed that the bear is MIA ... again.

Sounds like it is time to go bear hunting! LOL
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline Vinny

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
And as I was coming down the hall to the computer I noticed that the bear is MIA ... again.

Sounds like it is time to go bear hunting! LOL

HaHa! Much better.  ;D
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Wrecks

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 10:51:31 PM »
It takes away a couple steps that add cognitive load (aligning sights, focusing on front post), so you can focus on your core handling mechanics better. Additionally the sight window enables you to see a large portion of the target whereas with irons you only see the top half, so it's fundamentally more natural for how human vision targeting works. The reduced cognitive load allows you to focus on making the right shot and allows you to focus on your target instead of the sight.

They're better in every conceivable way except for concealing and the very rare time you run out of battery or break it. The model I use, the Sig Romeo 1 has a 30,000 hour battery time and turns itself off when you're not using it, effectively giving it years of use time. And many sights are set up with a co-witness BUIS in case of failure, however most defensive shootings occur within 15 ft where you're likely shooting completely on instinct.

I imagine within the next 5-10 years you will see widespread police force adoption. The ability to acquire your target without taking focus off the subject allows an officer to "keep their head in the game" with better situational awareness, which can save lives on both ends of the barrel.

There's no reason to not have a red dot on your pistol aside from price point.

Offline rhart

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 06:08:38 AM »
I never knew using a RDS could help in this respect. Interestig. May have to get one.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.