Author Topic: Holy Cow, Batman..the slide stop broke!!!!!  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Re: Holy Cow, Batman..the slide stop broke!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 04:06:03 PM »
Yeah that seems a little premature, even if they are known to break. If I remember correctly (can't remember who might have been explaining this) this is a design feature. Not every 1,000 rounds by any means, but the slide stop is the part meant to fail. This is opposed to the frame or barrel taking on more wear. I have 2 SP-01 Compacts and neither have had the slide stop go out yet. My SP-01 must have 6,000 rounds through it now and it hasn't failed. Seems like they last 20k plus on average, but thats just me guessing from what I have read from members on here.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble. Glad CZ took care of you!

I agree it's breaking was probably a little premature. I don't know if the slide stops are a machined part, or if they're MIM, and finsh machined, either way, they're a mass produced part and, sooner or later, a bad one is going to get out. I guess I drew the short straw..The bright side here is, due to watching some of your disassembly videos, I worked up the nerve to remove the sear cage and poke around a bit, and found that, at least with the manual saftey guns , it' really not that difficult. This prompted me to order some parts from  CGW, to make some minor changes, I'm switching out the recurve trigger, I thought I could live with it, but it has some sharp edges that are really starting to bother me, on longer shooting sessions, so, It has to go, it's getting replaced with a 85 "old style" trigger. I'm also trying to get ahold of the gent who sells the stiffer saftey lever springs, I'd like to swap that out while I'm in there and get rid of that mushy feeling the saftey lever currently has.. I also ordered extra detent plungers for the left, and right side in case one gets lost. I've had it apart and put it back together about 3-4  times now, it gets a little easier each time, thanks to your vids, I feel I could take the frame completely apart, and reassemble it without any problems..

Dang, it's always good to hear about those videos helping people out! As you get more comfortable with taking it all apart it sure helps to get in and polish everything. I know I am a snob, but all my CZ's have a CZC Competition Hammer or a CGW Race Hammer. I really really want to try the CGW adjustable sear. I always feel like I am working that sear face that interacts with the hammer hooks. That's tricky because removing material shortens its life, but most of mine have some slight machine marks. That CGW sear looks smooth and incredible straight from their shop!

If you need any help along the way just reach out. Getting an incredible SA isn't hard, but smoothing out that DA pull to be smooth as butter takes a thorough polishing of every single contact point. It's worth the time and effort. Last weekend I got my draw and first shot time in DA down to my personal best from a year ago with SA. Practice is the main component of that, but the smooth and lighter DA sure helps too.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline badwrench

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 05:31:21 PM »
Yeah that seems a little premature, even if they are known to break. If I remember correctly (can't remember who might have been explaining this) this is a design feature. Not every 1,000 rounds by any means, but the slide stop is the part meant to fail. This is opposed to the frame or barrel taking on more wear. I have 2 SP-01 Compacts and neither have had the slide stop go out yet. My SP-01 must have 6,000 rounds through it now and it hasn't failed. Seems like they last 20k plus on average, but thats just me guessing from what I have read from members on here.

I agree it's breaking was probably a little premature. I don't know if the slide stops are a machined part, or if they're MIM, and finsh machined, either way, they're a mass produced part and, sooner or later, a bad one is going to get out. I guess I drew the short straw..The bright side here is, due to watching some of your disassembly videos, I worked up the nerve to remove the sear cage and poke around a bit, and found that, at least with the manual saftey guns , it' really not that difficult. This prompted me to order some parts from  CGW, to make some minor changes, I'm switching out the recurve trigger, I thought I could live with it, but it has some sharp edges that are really starting to bother me, on longer shooting sessions, so, It has to go, it's getting replaced with a 85 "old style" trigger. I'm also trying to get ahold of the gent who sells the stiffer saftey lever springs, I'd like to swap that out while I'm in there and get rid of that mushy feeling the saftey lever currently has.. I also ordered extra detent plungers for the left, and right side in case one gets lost. I've had it apart and put it back together about 3-4  times now, it gets a little easier each time, thanks to your vids, I feel I could take the frame completely apart, and reassemble it without any problems..

Dang, it's always good to hear about those videos helping people out! As you get more comfortable with taking it all apart it sure helps to get in and polish everything. I know I am a snob, but all my CZ's have a CZC Competition Hammer or a CGW Race Hammer. I really really want to try the CGW adjustable sear. I always feel like I am working that sear face that interacts with the hammer hooks. That's tricky because removing material shortens its life, but most of mine have some slight machine marks. That CGW sear looks smooth and incredible straight from their shop!

If you need any help along the way just reach out. Getting an incredible SA isn't hard, but smoothing out that DA pull to be smooth as butter takes a thorough polishing of every single contact point. It's worth the time and effort. Last weekend I got my draw and first shot time in DA down to my personal best from a year ago with SA. Practice is the main component of that, but the smooth and lighter DA sure helps too.

Thanks, but I really don't need to polish, as CGW already took care of that,  along with a few other things, when it was down there, before I got the nerve up to try some of this stuff myself. Like I said, I'm just planning on fixing a couple of minor things, and that should do it. Over all,  I'm pretty happy with the pistol..

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »
With CGW adjustable sear, just remembered to use red locktite once proper clearance is established. "Set it and forget it".

About CZ slide stops, I keep multiple backups since they is known to break. Yet my circa 1990s CZ75 is still on its original slide stop! 

Why hasn't any entrepreneural machine shop started manufacturing aftermarket billet CZ slide stops?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 07:18:10 PM »
Badwrench, thanks for that info.  It may just be taking a beating from smacking the inside of the peanut as the barrel is moved by the slide.  It might do it again, or the new slide stop may fit/wear into the peanut and last a long time.  Good luck with it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »
Mine tend to last around 20k RDS or more with lighly sprung CZ 75s shooting light loads.

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »
I just can't imagine the force applied onto the slide release by the barrel to snap it right in the middle.
Would the slide release be that weak, or is it the barrel pulling that hard on the slide release cam on every single shot?

Offline rhart

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
Just as all guns are not identical (or all cars, refrigerators, etc.) all parts are not identical.

You can't just say, "That slide stop was defective."  In another pistol, that slide stop might have lasted for thousands more rounds.

The dimensions of the slide stop, the barrel lug, the barrel locking lugs, the slide where the barrel lugs lock in, the fit of the barrel to the breech face, the recoil spring, the hammer spring, etc., etc. all contribute to the punishment of the slide stop in that hole with the peanut shape on the bottom of the barrel.  Not to mention the ammo used.

Did the slide stop appear to have broken from front to rear, or top to bottom?  Or could you tell.  I'm not sure it's possible to tell as I've not yet seen a broken slide stop up close.  I'm just curious about wear spots, hammered looked spots, was the break straight or angled towards on side, or the bottom/top.

Probably not worth worrying about but I'm curious about stuff, especially if it happens more than once.

Some CZ's are pretty tight (small clearances between the moving parts) and I'd bet the combination of slide stop shaft in relation to the hole in the barrel lug and whether the barrel locks up easy or tight in the slide can have a lot to do with whether or not a pistol is prone to breaking the slide stop shaft.

Are you going to go ahead and order a spare?  Or risk being without your pistol for a few days if it happens again?

CZUSA is going to send me a new one, and while I was ordering parts from CGW today I ordered a extra slide stop. The stop that broke appears to have broken cleanly just about exactly in the middle of the shaft, looking at the little bit of wear pattern on the shaft, the break would have been in the middle of the peanut on the barrel..

Polish your peanut...
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline Chicago Dude

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 09:13:39 PM »

Scarlett , few months ago I read the tread here that most of them brake at around 6,000.
When I read that I went ahead and got me some spare for my PCR and P-01.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »
rhart, if one of mine had that issue, I'd be thinking about spending some time looking over the geometry to see if I could make myself feel confident enough to figure out what metal needed removed, relieved, polished, etc. that would remove the extra stress but not make the lockup "sloppy."

Fun, fun, fun, with maybe a mistake or three along the way as learning experiences.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 10:21:40 PM »

Scarlett , few months ago I read the tread here that most of them brake at around 6,000.

Seems like a pretty wide range of reported expected failure round count levels. I?ll give CZ a call and see what they say. Maybe CGW and CZ Custom can chime in too.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »

Seems like a pretty wide range of reported expected failure round count levels. I?ll give CZ a call and see what they say. Maybe CGW and CZ Custom can chime in too.

After thinking about it for awhile, I think I may have figured out why my slide stop failed as early as it did..When I sent the pistol to CGW,  for some work, one of the things I had done was to have the frame, slide, barrel, saftey levers, and slide stop all black nitrided. Black Nitride is IMO,  a surface finish that's about a lightyear ahead of polycoat, it's also very hard. I think that when the slide stop was black nitrided, and it being a smaller part, it could have made the shaft brittle.. and after a little use, it broke. Or, it could have just been a bad slide stop from the start..I'm not really sure.. Does that mean the rest of the pistol is brittle? Hardly, If anything it has a much better exterior finish, that is very corrosion resistant, it's just that a small part that is going to get stressed like a slide stop in a CZ, nitriding may not be a good idea..

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
Huh, that could be it... at least an interesting thought. I?m not an engineer and don?t have experience in metals so I don?t know...