Author Topic: CZ 75b Matte Stainless Finish Quality  (Read 3979 times)

Offline PilotPhill

CZ 75b Matte Stainless Finish Quality
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:02:48 AM »
Hi All,
I recently received my first CZ, a 75B Matte Stainless. However, I am not thrilled with the quality of finish. Is mine an outlier or is this typical of CZ?  I own a few other handguns in this price range and all of them at least visually appear to be of higher quality.  My Springfield Loaded 1911 for example is absolutely beautiful with a fantastic finish quality.  Unfortunately, right out of the box I noticed my 75 does not seem to be finished to the levels that I am used to. 

Mainly, the recessed bit into which the hammer falls (forgive me if there is a term for this that I don?t know) does not appear to be formed correctly. It is not uniform which can most easily be seen between the grooves on the top of the slide and the recessed bit.

Secondly, there are a few very small dents on the slide serrations. Not a huge deal since it might happen anyway but I like to at least start with very near perfect things.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:26:25 AM by PilotPhill »

Offline retteryer

Re: CZ 75b Matte Stainless Finish Quality
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:52:49 AM »
Perfectly fine for CZ?s,it was probably made on Friday,at the end of the day.
CZ SP-01 9mm,CZ SP-01 Shadow,CZ75B Compact,CZ75B Cold War Memo Commemorative,CZ75B SA,DW VBob,Kadet Kit,CZ75B Brushed Stainless,CZ75B Polished Stainless.

Offline Meechy7648

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:13:24 AM »
In my limited experience (I've only had two stainless from CZ), that's unusual. Was it that you couldn't see that when you went to pick it up or did you not mind at the time?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline PilotPhill

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »
Correct, I had heard so many good things about CZs that I did not expect anything to be wrong with it. I simply looked over it briefly and thus unfortunately did not notice those imperfections until I got home.   

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
Correct, I had heard so many good things about CZs that I did not expect anything to be wrong with it. I simply looked over it briefly and thus unfortunately did not notice those imperfections until I got home.
So have you bothered to send a photo to CZ-USA or give them a call and explain your issue? Maybe give that a try. They are the only people who can resolve this for you.

Offline afultz075

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 08:04:14 PM »
It is not unusual to have irregularities in that part of the slide near the hammer, in my experience. Nor are the little dings in the slide serrations that unusual.

I own close to 20 CZ 75 variants, and I can probably find little flaws like this in most, if not all of them if I look hard enough.

Offline PilotPhill

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 09:58:17 PM »
No I have not reached out to CZ-USA yet.  I wanted to get a few other opinions to see if this was more or less standard of CZ before I talked to them.  Though, I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.  Will report back here after I contact them

Offline Sp33d2

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 11:23:22 PM »
I think its pretty much their standard. I have 9 CZ's and each one has a couple of "flaws". I use quotes because for guns that for the most part cost less than $1,000, these little imperfections are something that are going to be evident, and shouldn't be dwelled on. These guns are for shooting, not necessarily looking at, admiring and fondling... If this was on my $4,500 Guncrafter 1911, then I would call the manufacturer. 

skin

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 01:45:15 AM »
 I don't see these as flaws on a gun for less than  $2000. I have seen more "flaws" on higher end guns. If this was a custom built gun I would expect more. Sometimes function is more important than beauty.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 10:02:26 AM »
So have you bothered to send a photo to CZ-USA or give them a call and explain your issue? Maybe give that a try. They are the only people who can resolve this for you.

This is true.....let them tell you what you are hearing here. If what you are hearing here is true, you will know in a second, if not you will get some satisfaction.

The slide serration dings are something I would not have noticed probably. The back side "flaw" is something I would not notice either on a gun I shoot, especially if it shoots good. I am not the same as everyone, in my book and I would not even notice them. I own more then one gun and I never looked to see if the slide hammer groove was even. I will not look now that I know they may not be. But if you are unhappy talk to CZ USA and let them tell you what you have.

In my opinion though you have an awesome looking handgun that will probably shoot much better then you are ever able to make it preform. I know my CZ's often wish a better shooter owned them so they could brag to eachother instead of saying......WTF I keep getting Charlies.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline badwrench

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
PilotPhil:
I looked over your pics, and frankly these are cosmetic defects, and minor ones at that..I would be more concerned with how the hammer fits into the slot, (is it leaning? Does the hammer rub on the frame?) Anyway, you have to remember that these are mass produced pistols, in a $5-700 price range, for that kind of  money, you'll get your dollars worth, but that's it. Since your pistol is stainless, I'd guess they take a bit more time polishing, brushing, the surfaces, as the stainless guns don't have the luxury of being polycoated, as polycoat among other things, being a rather thick finish, can hide a number of casting flaws, that can't be hidden on a stainless gun. If you want perfect, you're going to have to shell out alot more money.. Like Wilson Combat 1911 level of money. For that kind of money, the fit, finish had better be perfect.  As an example, I have one of the steel framed compacts (99021) that left the factory with a polycoat finish..I had CGW do some work to it and one of the things done was to have the polycoat stripped, and the frame, barrel, and slide, slide stop and saftey levers black nitrided..It turned out great..however closer inspection on the right side of the frame, by the light rail, shows us two very small pits..leftovers from casting the frame..The only way to remove them would be to draw file that side of the frame, and then, with pitting, there's always the possibilty that you'd never get them completely out as it's almost impossible to tell how deep they go. Some could go almost all the way through the frame, others, just below the surface.(In this case they don't appear to go very deep, and  probably could've been draw filed out) Anyway, they were left as is.Does it bother me? No, I don't really care as they are really,really, small, and you have to look for them to find them. And, they don't have any affect on the guns function. So, I would'nt worry too much about the cosmetic defects you've found, I'd just go shoot the pistol, and enjoy it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:14:48 AM by badwrench »

Offline Mercs

CZ 75b Matte Stainless Finish Quality
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:18:06 PM »
Hi All,
I recently received my first CZ, a 75B Matte Stainless. However, I am not thrilled with the quality of finish. Is mine an outlier or is this typical of CZ?  I own a few other handguns in this price range and all of them at least visually appear to be of higher quality.  My Springfield Loaded 1911 for example is absolutely beautiful with a fantastic finish quality.  Unfortunately, right out of the box I noticed my 75 does not seem to be finished to the levels that I am used to. 

Mainly, the recessed bit into which the hammer falls (forgive me if there is a term for this that I don?t know) does not appear to be formed correctly. It is not uniform which can most easily be seen between the grooves on the top of the slide and the recessed bit.

Secondly, there are a few very small dents on the slide serrations. Not a huge deal since it might happen anyway but I like to at least start with very near perfect things.

What do you guys think?

It?s just a matter of adjusting your expectations from the gun. People always hear of CZ and how legendary the accuracy is and yes, it?s certainly all true. However, it has never been said they have the nicest finish. Their methods of manufacture produce roughness and pits that just can?t be corrected sometimes. I have heard that  CZ has to sort through the 75b?s to find the ones that are uniform enough to be stainless, and perhaps that?s why there?s so few made. I tend to believe this theory myself. additionally, please let me know first if you decide to sell it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
CZ's are investment cast and that could easily have been a defect in the wax form used to create the mold for the slide. From the looks of it some careful time spent with a small file and light grit sandpaper it would be easy to reshape that edge to uniformity.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 11:49:26 PM »
CZ's are investment cast and that could easily have been a defect in the wax form used to create the mold for the slide. From the looks of it some careful time spent with a small file and light grit sandpaper it would be easy to reshape that edge to uniformity.

I knew the steel frames were cast, but I thought the slides were machined from barstock...

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »

I knew the steel frames were cast, but I thought the slides were machined from barstock...

I think that may be correct but it still would be an easy fix to dress up the little imperfection on the op's slide.