Author Topic: CZ P-09/S? Grip chop!  (Read 4631 times)

Offline miller_man

CZ P-09/S? Grip chop!
« on: May 13, 2018, 07:43:55 PM »
So, had been interested in the idea before I even got back into owning CZ's again last year. Had seen on the webz and from a contributor on here that it should be possible to cut the grip on the 09 to the 07 length and be able to use the shorter p-07 mags. I love a longer barrel/sight radius for obvious reasons - little bit better accuracy or at least more forgiving, pretty much same for sight radius and would be softer shooting. Also, I had 2 my main reasons why I especially liked the idea

1)better carry - in appendix carry, a longer barrel will help stabilize the pistol from trying to roll over the belt (lot of people use longer holster to accomplish the same thing)
2)Same exact pistol (minus a little grip) that I will shoot in USPSA and other gun games.

So, I did this about 2 months ago  8).

Just getting enough free time to post a thread on it. Took about 3-4 hours, with most of it being the fine tuning the length with a file and sanding. Besides getting up the near and measuring multiple times, the hardest part for sure, was shaping the mag well to match the factory shaping. I have a new respect for how tough these polymer pistols are - it was not too easy to cut through. And I will never fear stippling a CZ for fear of "going to deep or far" into the polymer - it is really thick stuff. I had to use a p-07 mag to neatly match the factory spacing with a mag inserted. You can see in the pic above, I hadn't fine tuned the spacing with the mag in - got it tuned in nice after more work, as you can see below.

I have had zero problems or malfunctions so far. Have fired 485 rounds so far - a mix of mostly S&B 115, Tullamo 115, some lawman 115/124 and some federal Hi-shok 115 hollow points. I took a training day class and shot just under 100 rounds - drawing from the holster, reloading and shooting under time pressure. I will shoot another whole box of HP's through it and put a full 1,000 rounds through it and then call it good and start carrying it. I have used the 16 rd P-07 mags and 19 rd P-09 mags at random back and forth and again have had nothing but smooth operation with either. It shoots pretty much exactly the same as my P-09 as far as I can tell and I have been more than pleased with it. I really dig it so far. It carries nice in my JM custom appendix holster and disappears for me under just a T-shirt (just like the 07) but gives me the longer barrel/slide I like in the 09. I will carry a 19rnd p-09 mag for my spare mag.

Here is some more pics of the family. Just need to add more in colors sometime down the road. So I'm thinking of just calling it the P-09/s? Other thoughts?

P-09 with P-09/s on top

P-09/s with P-07 on top

List of guns here?

Offline Winkel

Re: CZ P-09/S? Grip chop!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:28:13 PM »
I have considered doing this exact same thing to my P-09.  I'm still on the fence so please keep us posted.  I don't see why it wouldn't work but I'm sure I could do it when I'm in a patient mood. 

I like it!

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:50:59 AM »
I love it. If CZ offered this in OD green I would buy 2 in a heartbeat. I wonder if CGW would offer this as an option with a pro kit and RMR cut.... (drools)

Offline EDCzechnology

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 02:09:06 PM »
AWESOME! the P09 was my first CZ before i got hooked on the steel frames and sold it. but this makes me want to try again!

Offline miller_man

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:33:53 AM »
I have considered doing this exact same thing to my P-09.  I'm still on the fence so please keep us posted.  I don't see why it wouldn't work but I'm sure I could do it when I'm in a patient mood. 

I like it!

I was on the fence for about 2 months - would just look at the pistol all the time and think about it. But I knew ultimately that's why a bought that one - so it had to be done!

I was going on memory when I posted about round count (never a good thing). Put more round through it this week and broke out the paper work on it - here are more exact details on everything. Guess I might use this thread as a round count/stoppages log. Might as well do a full 2,000 round challenge with it - no cleaning until 2k has been reached and report any stoppages or malfunctions. I will do the 2k from after chop.

Round count before chop - 445
After chop - 330 (775 total on pistol) as of 5/10

Another box of HP's 5/15 - 380 (825 ttl)

List of guns here?

Offline miller_man

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:37:11 AM »
I love it. If CZ offered this in OD green I would buy 2 in a heartbeat. I wonder if CGW would offer this as an option with a pro kit and RMR cut.... (drools)

Agreed. I'd love to buy them from CZ.
Ya, you start bugging CGW about that and I'll be ready to jump into the RMR's by the time they'd get around to doing it  ;)
List of guns here?

Offline regular_guy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »
Nice work, miller_man! You've got me thinking about doing the same thing now. 

Offline Winkel

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 05:35:18 PM »
Yes, this would be a good mod for CZ Custom or Cajun to look at.  I think there'd be a market for it.

Offline miller_man

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 07:48:27 PM »
Thanks guys, still REALLY enjoying this pistol. Well, keeping up with the round count on the chopped P-09. I have fired another 100 rounds through the pistol bringing the total round count to 480. I did encounter this my last range trip (pasted from another forum). Any input is welcome, I'm pretty confident this has nothing to do with the chop.

"So, with putting more rounds through my chopped P-09 and doing the 2k round challenge. Had 2 failures today, both light strikes or hard primers - rounds 436 and 466 after grip chop. Both with S&B 115gr, out of the same box, out of a new case. Both were 1st shot of new string, in DA. Both rounds I ejected, inspected what looked to me to be a good strike - re-chambered and both fired on second strike, to pic of casing afterwards (in hind sight, should have took pic before firing 2nd time). I have shot around 3 cases of this stuff through my CZs and have not had any other problems with primers and have shot a good bit of tullammo, which I would think would have harder primers. I will keep an eye on it and see how the rest of this case does. I did notice a few of my other shots felt weird, or slow. I know the box I shot through this 09 was the new case. I will bring ammo from the new case and put through both guns next trip. Kinda hoping its just this batch of ammo.

I hate that it happened with the chopped CZ, much rather it would have happened with the full 09 which I consider my training/game gun. Will just have to see. I took pics for the rounds that didn't fire and took one of some of the other casings/primers and couldn't tell much difference. Any advice or thoughts is welcome- I'm not the most knowledgeable on these details."

List of guns here?

anything