Author Topic: Eliminating "play" from thin aluminum grips.  (Read 1087 times)

Offline n8vmdpath

Eliminating "play" from thin aluminum grips.
« on: June 15, 2018, 09:12:46 PM »
Overall, my CGW thin aluminum grips fit well on my SP-01.  But there is a little play on left hand side which is probably due to the frame.  I want to avoid over tightening grip screws and strip the thread.   Is there somekind of shim I can use to eliminate the play. (A small dabs of automotives silicon RVT paste)?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Eliminating "play" from thin aluminum grips.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 06:26:59 AM »
Overall, my CGW thin aluminum grips fit well on my SP-01.  But there is a little play on left hand side which is probably due to the frame.  I want to avoid over tightening grip screws and strip the thread.   Is there somekind of shim I can use to eliminate the play. (A small dabs of automotives silicon RVT paste)?

It's common on 1911's for the grips to work loose during firing so in that instance we use a small thin  O ring under each grip screw and it works very well.
This method may be an option for you as well.

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 09:31:04 AM »
Check the screws to make sure they are not slightly out of spec. If good then the o-ring may work.
"1776" - Part II

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »
I sometimes put small/thin strips of electrical tape under the flats on the rear of the grip if there's a little space under the forward parts.

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 12:04:00 AM »
Thanks

Offline Oleman

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 05:41:33 PM »
I had the same thing on mine on the left hand side only. I would do th ?o?ring . I got mine tight enough but did have h sad strip out on me trying to remove.

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »
Also you may find some 1911 tension washers that fit between the screw head and grip that will take up any slack and help keep the screws from loosening.
"1776" - Part II

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »
I find on some CZ's that when you tighten the screw down, regardless of washer type, it 'rocks' back towards the backstrap and that's when you have a little lift on the forward ends of the grip.  Sometimes you can feel that space as the grips flex, and you can definitely hear a hollow sound when you rap it with your finger.  Here's a thread where I discussed it with a set of LOK's....

https://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=94962.0

Again, some strategically placed pieces of electrical tape will often alleviate it, but it can vary from gun to gun.

anything