Author Topic: Forgotten Weapons (aka Gun Jesus): CZ 97B  (Read 4570 times)

Offline OldGringo

Forgotten Weapons (aka Gun Jesus): CZ 97B
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
New video posted.

Not exactly a forgotten weapon but still very nice.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Forgotten Weapons (aka Gun Jesus): CZ 97B
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
An ok vid. The guy tries to know what he's talking about but he just falls short of having all the facts. The 97 has quite a good following and they don't stay on the shelves very long at least not where I'm at. He compares the 97 to a 1911 but he's very obviously never fired the gun or he would surely know how different and superior it is to the 1911.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
An ok vid. The guy tries to know what he's talking about but he just falls short of having all the facts. The 97 has quite a good following and they don't stay on the shelves very long at least not where I'm at. He compares the 97 to a 1911 but he's very obviously never fired the gun or he would surely know how different and superior it is to the 1911.

Actually you're quite wrong.. if you've ever watched forgotten weapons for very long you'll see that Ian knows his way around firearms, and has gotten to shoot firearm we could only dream about. As far as the CZ97 being superior to a 1911, that's debatable, as both have their strengths and weaknesses. The big ding against the 97, is it's size..it's not exactly small, and I've yet to run into anybody carrying one, while I know a few folks who carry a 1911..

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 07:05:40 PM »

Actually you're quite wrong.. if you've ever watched forgotten weapons for very long you'll see that Ian knows his way around firearms, and has gotten to shoot firearm we could only dream about. As far as the CZ97 being superior to a 1911, that's debatable, as both have their strengths and weaknesses. The big ding against the 97, is it's size..it's not exactly small, and I've yet to run into anybody carrying one, while I know a few folks who carry a 1911..

Wrong? No I don't think so. Every one has an opinion. Just like him just like you just like me.  No I don't have to watch eeean to see what he knows about guns I will never get to shoot. I'm only watching this video and opining about it. He talks like the 97 has basically flopped out there after all these years yet CZ has refined the pistol over the years and it is a formidable platform for an accurate and easy to shoot .45. Out of the box it's easily more accurate than 1911's costing twice the money. A little work and the proper parts and it competes easily with 4k 1911's for 25% the cost. I've owned many 1911's over the years and my 3 most recent Dan Wesson models got sent to other homes because they couldn't play nice.My 97 BD is still here.
Yea we can debate the 1911 thing but the 1911 is FAR outdated and were it not for the 1994 assault weapons ban it would have died a quiet death. I know people who carry 1911's too and I also know old geezers who still think carburetors are better than electronic fuel injection.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:09:16 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline badwrench

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:12:20 PM »

Wrong? No I don't think so. Every one has an opinion. Just like him just like you just like me.  No I don't have to watch eeean to see what he knows about guns I will never get to shoot. I'm only watching this video and opining about it. He talks like the 97 has basically flopped out there after all these years yet CZ has refined the pistol over the years and it is a formidable platform for an accurate and easy to shoot .45. Out of the box it's easily more accurate than 1911's costing twice the money. A little work and the proper parts and it competes easily with 4k 1911's for 25% the cost. I've owned many 1911's over the years and my 3 most recent Dan Wesson models got sent to other homes because they couldn't play nice.My 97 BD is still here.
Yea we can debate the 1911 thing but the 1911 is FAR outdated and were it not for the 1994 assault weapons ban it would have died a quiet death. I know people who carry 1911's too and I also know old geezers who still think carburetors are better than electronic fuel injection.

Dude;
You need to chill out.. I get this a CZ Forum, If I ruffled your feathers, sorry, relax, it's just the internet, nothing serious,here.  I've been shooting and reloading .45acp for over 30years.. You're not the only one who has opinions on .45's I own 4, a orginial mint condition 70 series Colt made in 1976, a HK45T, a HK45CT and a Glock21..  of the four which would I carry if I had to carry a .45? The HK 45CT, the Colt is getting too valuable to carry daily, the HK 45 is too large just like the CZ, and the Glock throws brass at me (I got it stupid cheap, and it's LNIB, good gun show fodder if I can't get it straightened out) One thing you have to admit whether you like it or not, is that other than Glocks, the 1911 has huge aftermarket support, if one wanted to build a 1911 entirely from aftermarket parts, that's easily done.. Neither CZ, or HK have that, and likely never will.. We're bleep lucky to have a few choices in aftermarket sights.And like it or not, having large aftermarket support is a huge advantage.. That's why after 108 yrs they're still around, and will likely be around 108 years from now..  I'm 63, so, I guess I'm a old geezer, and, no, I don't think carburetors are better than electronic fuel injection.. I'll leave you with this, every pistol ever made is a compromise of one sort or another, none are perfect. It's up to you to figure out which of these compromises you can live with and which ones you can't . This is why some folks carry 1911's and others don't,  Me? I like my HK's, CZ's and my Beretta's. WE should thank our lucky stars for places like CGW, CZC,  these two shops literally made CZ, here in the U.S. IF it was'nt for these two shops, I don't think CZ would as popular as they now are..
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:15:41 PM by badwrench »

Offline novacz

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 02:17:48 AM »
Thanks for posting.  It's great to see Ian giving a CZ some attention.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:09:03 PM by novacz »

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 05:25:45 AM »

Dude;
You need to chill out.. I get this a CZ Forum, If I ruffled your feathers, sorry, relax, it's just the internet, nothing serious,here.  I've been shooting and reloading .45acp for over 30years.. You're not the only one who has opinions on .45's I own 4, a orginial mint condition 70 series Colt made in 1976, a HK45T, a HK45CT and a Glock21..  of the four which would I carry if I had to carry a .45? The HK 45CT, the Colt is getting too valuable to carry daily, the HK 45 is too large just like the CZ, and the Glock throws brass at me (I got it stupid cheap, and it's LNIB, good gun show fodder if I can't get it straightened out) One thing you have to admit whether you like it or not, is that other than Glocks, the 1911 has huge aftermarket support, if one wanted to build a 1911 entirely from aftermarket parts, that's easily done.. Neither CZ, or HK have that, and likely never will.. We're bleep lucky to have a few choices in aftermarket sights.And like it or not, having large aftermarket support is a huge advantage.. That's why after 108 yrs they're still around, and will likely be around 108 years from now..  I'm 63, so, I guess I'm a old geezer, and, no, I don't think carburetors are better than electronic fuel injection.. I'll leave you with this, every pistol ever made is a compromise of one sort or another, none are perfect. It's up to you to figure out which of these compromises you can live with and which ones you can't . This is why some folks carry 1911's and others don't,  Me? I like my HK's, CZ's and my Beretta's. WE should thank our lucky stars for places like CGW, CZC,  these two shops literally made CZ, here in the U.S. IF it was'nt for these two shops, I don't think CZ would as popular as they now are..

My feathers are not ruffled in any way. The bottom line is you like what Ian has to say and I do not necessarily agree with him. I think Hickok 45 does better vids and they are more fun to watch.
The 1911 was dead before the 94 AWB. Wondernines and recently added .40's were eclipsing them at a fever pitch. You could hardly find a 1911 for sale around here (NE Ohio) and if you did it was just another Colt. The ban saved the 1911 from the scrap pile of history and as luck would have it for the next 10 years many new and younger shooters got to experience it and it was further resurrected to the point than every body started making them Now the market is flooded with a gazillion brands and configurations. Yes it will be around for a long time now but history saved it from history.
I never said I did not like the 1911 quite the opposite is true. I like it in it's purest 1911 and 1911A1 form. After some refinements my CZ 1911A1 is a top notch reliable shooter and I have a couple other non-adulterated style 1911's as well that I like. I just find the 97 to be a step above. Yes it's big and heavy and no I don't carry it but I won't carry a 1911 either. There are better easier to conceal and higher capacity options out there today so I'll stick with the 9mm for my carry options.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:28:22 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline Arndog123

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 07:25:45 AM »
Love my CZ97 but I love my Tanfoglio Match Elite more.  Slowly phasing out my 1911's and only have 2 left and one of them is already spoken for.  Badwrench, have you done anything to fix the "brass to face" issue on your G21?  My gen4 G21 had it pretty bad and I fixed it by replacing the stock ejector with one off a 40 cal Glock.  No issues after that.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 09:38:25 AM »

Dude;

My feathers are not ruffled in any way. The bottom line is you like what Ian has to say and I do not necessarily agree with him. I think Hickok 45 does better vids and they are more fun to watch.
The 1911 was dead before the 94 AWB. Wondernines and recently added .40's were eclipsing them at a fever pitch. You could hardly find a 1911 for sale around here (NE Ohio) and if you did it was just another Colt. The ban saved the 1911 from the scrap pile of history and as luck would have it for the next 10 years many new and younger shooters got to experience it and it was further resurrected to the point than every body started making them Now the market is flooded with a gazillion brands and configurations. Yes it will be around for a long time now but history saved it from history.
I never said I did not like the 1911 quite the opposite is true. I like it in it's purest 1911 and 1911A1 form. After some refinements my CZ 1911A1 is a top notch reliable shooter and I have a couple other non-adulterated style 1911's as well that I like. I just find the 97 to be a step above. Yes it's big and heavy and no I don't carry it but I won't carry a 1911 either. There are better easier to conceal and higher capacity options out there today so I'll stick with the 9mm for my carry options.

I really don't know how you came to the conclusion that I liked what Ian had to say. Frankly, I'm kinda netural. As far as how the CZ97 actually sells, we'll never know, as that information typically is'nt made public. If I had to guess, I'd say that it is'nt one of their best sellers when compared to the rest of their line up, meaning they probably sell more 75's and 75 compacts..CZ clearly sells enough of them to keep making them, just as HK sells enough MK23's to keep making them as well, and for the same reason, there's enough of a demand. The 1911 being dead before the 94 AWB is pretty much your opinion, as it is today, it's still around, with  huge aftermarket support that neither CZ or HK will ever have. Having that level of aftermarket support is the key to staying around a long time. This is in large part why for example, Glock is as popular as it is, I mean, I've been in hardware stores that carried Glock mags, think about that..You'll never see CZ mags for sale in a hardware store.. The .40 is now on it's way out, and good riddence to it. At this point we'll just have to agree to disagree, and leave it at that..

Offline badwrench

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 09:54:02 AM »
Love my CZ97 but I love my Tanfoglio Match Elite more.  Slowly phasing out my 1911's and only have 2 left and one of them is already spoken for.  Badwrench, have you done anything to fix the "brass to face" issue on your G21?  My gen4 G21 had it pretty bad and I fixed it by replacing the stock ejector with one off a 40 cal Glock.  No issues after that.

I haven't done anything yet, the .40 ejector idea is interesting, and I'll probably try it.Another thing I want to try is swtiching powders..I reload my own 9mm,.45 and with my g19, it has a apex extractor, and when I used some BE86 powder it would throw brass at me. When I switched back to my old favorite Bullseye, it quit throwing brass at me, and started throwing them to the right. The last batch of .45 I had loaded was loaded using BE86, I want to load some .45 up using Bullseye, and see what happens, and then try the .40 ejector. I'd like to get it sorted out as it's a great shooter, and very accurate. I only have about $300 in this thing, and like I said, it looks brand new, came with 3 mags and the night sights still glow decently it's a gen3 from 2010.. Thanks for the ejector idea..

ETA;
Arndog, when you swapped ejectors did you just remove the ejector from one housing, and install in the other, or did you just drop the .40 trigger housing in, and use the .45 cal parts in the.40 cal trigger housing? I ordered a gen 4 .40 cal trigger housing  with the ejector..
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:54:23 PM by badwrench »

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:40 AM »
The 1911 being dead before the 94 AWB is pretty much your opinion, as it is today, it's still around, with  huge aftermarket support that neither CZ or HK will ever have. Having that level of aftermarket support is the key to staying around a long time. This is in large part why for example, Glock is as popular as it is, I mean, I've been in hardware stores that carried Glock mags, think about that..You'll never see CZ mags for sale in a hardware store.. The .40 is now on it's way out, and good riddence to it. At this point we'll just have to agree to disagree, and leave it at that..
Yes of course it's my opinion but I'm not the only one who holds this opinion. Yes the 1911 has much aftermarket support because nearly every 1911 manufactured is a direct copy and it's easy to replicate parts that fit ALL those guns or can easily be hand fit to do so. The reality though is there are many makers of 1911 accessories and parts but only the premier outfits like Wilson,Brown,STI,Nighthawk etc make good parts. Lot of absolute junk out there to.
No we don't have the as many outfits making CZ parts as for the 1911 but the fact is every one who does make aftermarket CZ parts makes top notch products. CZ-Custom and CGW are premier companies, no John Mason parts here.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:40:02 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 11:30:05 AM »
Ian (gun Jesus) has one of the best gun channels   on YouTube. He is a firearm historian and always provides great insight on firearms.   

On the opposite spectrum is Yankee Marshall. Yes, Yankee is very entertaining. But it's more of a gun comedy routine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline badwrench

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
The 1911 being dead before the 94 AWB is pretty much your opinion, as it is today, it's still around, with  huge aftermarket support that neither CZ or HK will ever have. Having that level of aftermarket support is the key to staying around a long time. This is in large part why for example, Glock is as popular as it is, I mean, I've been in hardware stores that carried Glock mags, think about that..You'll never see CZ mags for sale in a hardware store.. The .40 is now on it's way out, and good riddence to it. At this point we'll just have to agree to disagree, and leave it at that..
Yes of course it's my opinion but I'm not the only one who holds this opinion. Yes the 1911 has much aftermarket support because nearly every 1911 manufactured is a direct copy and it's easy to replicate parts that fit ALL those guns or can easily be hand fit to do so. The reality though is there are many makers of 1911 accessories and parts but only the premier outfits like Wilson,Brown,STI,Nighthawk etc make good parts. Lot of absolute junk out there to.
No we don't have the as many outfits making CZ parts as for the 1911 but the fact is every one who does make aftermarket CZ parts makes top notch products. CZ-Custom and CGW are premier companies, no John Mason parts here.
You're right.. Think where we'd be if we did'nt have CZC, or CGW.. as I said in my post above these two outfits made CZ here in the U.S. without them, CZ would be just another obscure firearm manfacturer from Europe, that nobody ever heard of..

skin

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »
 I agree with Ian on one point, it is probably made more for the American market. As for building a 97 from scratch,  if it had been adopted by the US military, you would find parts at Walmart. Lol. The 1911 has been improved, copied  and reinvented so many times. If you remember, back in the 80's,  colt came out with a double action version of the 1911 that wasn't a commercial success. For me, the 97 is everything I could want in a 45 cal pistol in a steel frame. If the bren 10 would have came out in a 45 cal also, we might not have the 97? Where there is a demand, there is a market.

Offline Arndog123

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 01:21:31 PM »

I haven't done anything yet, the .40 ejector idea is interesting, and I'll probably try it.Another thing I want to try is swtiching powders..I reload my own 9mm,.45 and with my g19, it has a apex extractor, and when I used some BE86 powder it would throw brass at me. When I switched back to my old favorite Bullseye, it quit throwing brass at me, and started throwing them to the right. The last batch of .45 I had loaded was loaded using BE86, I want to load some .45 up using Bullseye, and see what happens, and then try the .40 ejector. I'd like to get it sorted out as it's a great shooter, and very accurate. I only have about $300 in this thing, and like I said, it looks brand new, came with 3 mags and the night sights still glow decently it's a gen3 from 2010.. Thanks for the ejector idea..

ETA;
Arndog, when you swapped ejectors did you just remove the ejector from one housing, and install in the other, or did you just drop the .40 trigger housing in, and use the .45 cal parts in the.40 cal trigger housing? I ordered a gen 4 .40 cal trigger housing  with the ejector..

I used a complete 40 cal housing/ejector assy.