Author Topic: How to Survive A Shooting Incident  (Read 51411 times)

Offline IDescribe

Re: How to Survive A Shooting Incident
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 12:37:51 AM »
This is dangerous thinking and crazy talk.

When the day is over with, you want to be alive.

When the day is over with, I want to have done what was right. 

And leaving others to die when I have the means to prevent it -- it's disgusting.  I can't use the words here to describe what I think of that.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 12:48:31 AM »
Doesn't matter if I'm outgunned or not. if I get dispatched to an active shooter, I'm going in backup or no. I have a rifle, handgun, ammunition, and a ballistic vest. If the shooter is dodging me or avoiding being killed by me, he (or she) is not killing defenseless targets. It buys time for a SWAT response, and often ends the situation long before they are able to intervene.

The training, over the past several years emphasizes the need for immediate speedy and determined response. Time = lives saved or lost. Most AS incidents are over in 5 minutes or less and most victims are killed in the first three.

Speed is vital, worrying about being outgunned is pointless, you have what you can carry and that's it.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline BGlas

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »
For me personally, if I'm carrying, I've already made the decision to put my life on the line to defend others.  What I do will depend on the situation, but it won't be turning tail and getting out of dodge.  I've been through training with active/retired LEO and military and when they talk through scenarios, they don't always agree with each other or have all the answers.  There are no absolutes when it comes to this (and hopefully it never will), but in my opinion the best thing you can do if you have made this decision/commitment is to practice/train and think through the different scenarios.  When the SHTF, you'll start running on instinct and learned behavior...

NRA1945

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
For me personally, if I'm carrying, I've already made the decision to put my life on the line to defend others.  What I do will depend on the situation, but it won't be turning tail and getting out of dodge.  I've been through training with active/retired LEO and military and when they talk through scenarios, they don't always agree with each other or have all the answers.  There are no absolutes when it comes to this (and hopefully it never will), but in my opinion the best thing you can do if you have made this decision/commitment is to practice/train and think through the different scenarios.  When the SHTF, you'll start running on instinct and learned behavior...
I can't say I'm at the level where I've made the decision "to put my life on the line to defend others". I'm mainly carrying for personal protection, or of those of my immediate friends and family. But depending on the circumstances, if I could reasonably and safely stop a mass shooter I would do so rather then try to flee and escape. I don't think a jury or prosecutor anywhere would dare bring charges or attempt to convict anyone for successfully stopping a mass shooter. Were all getting a wee bit tired of those guys these days.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:16:02 PM by NRA1945 »

AdamSmith22134

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »

For me personally, I've already made the decision to put my life on the line for myself, my family, my friends and neighbors.

Strangers on the other hand is a completely different story.  I am not paid to defend strangers, that's the police's job.

And my family and friends would be pretty upset with me if I got wasted while playing cop for strangers.

Additionally I don't wear a bullet proof vest, I don't have radio backup, and I don't have a tactical rifle nor do I want one.

I believe that if you are armed and you are accosted, then you stand a very good chance of winning the fight based on several factors in your favor if you are properly trained and have recently drilled.  Every 3 to 6 months is a good drill interval to keep your training and reflexes sharp.

But as far as a situation like in the video, where a shooter has prepared himself to go on a rampage, in that case your chances are less than 50%, which is not good odds.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »
I swore two oaths, one to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestics. I swore another oath many years later to serve and protect the citizens of the Great State of Arizona. Neither had an expiration date. I hope I never have to march to the sound of guns, especially as old and out of shape; probably would last 2 miles in full kit plus armor.  ;D
I got a glimpse of the elephant in 1988, but not face to face. I don't how I'll respond, but I hope I'll respond well.

AdamSmith22134

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »
I swore two oaths, one to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestics. I swore another oath many years later to serve and protect the citizens of the Great State of Arizona. Neither had an expiration date. I hope I never have to march to the sound of guns, especially as old and out of shape; probably would last 2 miles in full kit plus armor.  ;D
I got a glimpse of the elephant in 1988, but not face to face. I don't how I'll respond, but I hope I'll respond well.

That's a probing question, Armoredman.  Greetings to you in Arizona btw.  My best friend from high school lives in Phoenix now.

None of us knows how we will react until the moment arrives.

The only thing I hope is that I do not do anything stupid that wastes my life for nothing.

Offline Zeroselect

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »
Personally I will be defending my family, friends and myself. If possibly I can help others without endangering my loved ones i will help. In no way will I be a hero and go chasing a shooter down.

Don't forget when LEO arrive to the scene they don't know the whole situation so they might mistake you for the shooter so make sure to not go running around with a gun in your hands.

papaairbear

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 01:04:24 PM »
Doesn't matter if I'm outgunned or not. if I get dispatched to an active shooter, I'm going in backup or no. I have a rifle, handgun, ammunition, and a ballistic vest. If the shooter is dodging me or avoiding being killed by me, he (or she) is not killing defenseless targets. It buys time for a SWAT response, and often ends the situation long before they are able to intervene.

The training, over the past several years emphasizes the need for immediate speedy and determined response. Time = lives saved or lost. Most AS incidents are over in 5 minutes or less and most victims are killed in the first three.

Speed is vital, worrying about being outgunned is pointless, you have what you can carry and that's it.

The Mall shooting here in Oregon serves as a case in point.  The gunman stopped shooting and ran when he saw a CCW holder looking at him through the sights of a Glock 17.  The holder held his fire because of possible collateral hits behind the gunman, but it was enough.

I swore two oaths, one to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestics. I swore another oath many years later to serve and protect the citizens of the Great State of Arizona. Neither had an expiration date.

Yes sir!  I will do what I have to do as well.

anything