Author Topic: Air Guns are the Answer(for now).  (Read 13273 times)

Offline TN.Frank

Air Guns are the Answer(for now).
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
Lots of folks having a hard time finding ammo to practice with and many more aren't able to find 22lr to hunt, plink and target shoot with. I ran into that problem when I was looking for a Ruger 10/22. None to be found OR if you did find one the person wanted two prices for it. That's when I dropped back and punt and picked up a Benjamin Train NP air rifle in 22cal.  22 pellets are cheap and very available. I can practice in my garage if I like or go out back and shoot and not bother the neighbors(or course I can shoot ctg. guns too and not bother the neighbors,LOL) and you can order an air gun and have it shipped to your door, no need to go through an FFL so no paper trail for the government to follow.
 I racked up enough "Bullseye Bucks" on the Pyramyd Air web site to order two air pistols, a scope for my air rifle and 1400 Beeman 22cal pellets(all total $175 bucks worth of stuff for free) so I'm set for awhile as far as plinking and small game hunting goes.
 Yep, if you're looking for some shooting fun but just can't find ammo to shoot give an air gun a try.
 Now that I know CZ makes em' I'll probably look on the PA web site to see what they've got.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Re: Air Guns are the Answer(for now).
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
Hey Frank:
Check these guys out:
http://convert-a-pell.com/
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline TN.Frank

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 08:32:41 AM »
Interesting idea as long as it doesn't cost too much.  I picked up a nice Beeman P17 for free using Bullseye Bucks on the Pyramyd Air web site but even at that it would have only been $40 bucks and it shoots great. Single Stroke Pneumatic so no Co2 to worry about or buy, just .177cal pellets and you're good to go.
 I noticed on the PA web site that someone is making a Co2 BB gun that looks like a Makarov, it'd be cool if they'd come out with one in CZ82 config. ;)

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
Haven't set myself up with a Kit for my CZs, but I have one for my 357 Red and Blackhawks
Very fun to shoot in the Shop
But with limits on Prmers, even this could be tough  to use
Pellet Guns are so fun (and cheep) to shoot
I have a Umarex Colt 1911A1
It is a CO2 / .177, very accurate to 10 yards
And I really enjoy Nitro Vemon .177
Very accurate at 50 yards +
Fifty Cent sized groups using my 3-9X40mm Adjustable Objective Scope
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline TN.Frank

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:02:01 AM »
Ditto on the Crosman/Benjamin Nitro Piston guns. I have a Trail NP in 22cal that's a real tack driver.  I think with the shortage of 22lr ammo a lot of folks are going to be going to air rifles for hunting/plinking.  I mean it just makes sense. They're inexpensive to shoot, have plenty of power for small game out to 50 yards, are safer to shoot in populated areas then a 22lr and are very accurate and quiet.
 I'd not owned a high power air rifle in over 30 years but with 22lr being hard to find it forced me back into one and I couldn't be happier.

Offline TWParrish

• Windows Warrior Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:46:46 AM »
Interesting idea as long as it doesn't cost too much.  I picked up a nice Beeman P17 for free using Bullseye Bucks on the Pyramyd Air web site but even at that it would have only been $40 bucks and it shoots great. Single Stroke Pneumatic so no Co2 to worry about or buy, just .177cal pellets and you're good to go.
 I noticed on the PA web site that someone is making a Co2 BB gun that looks like a Makarov, it'd be cool if they'd come out with one in CZ82 config. ;)

That was possibly my post there, (you and I possibly share a state) and the gun is made by Umarex.  It was the cheapest option I saw.  Pyramid Air evidently sells one made by Baikal that it an actual converted Bulgarian Makarov, but it ain't cheap.  The Umarex weighs 1.5 lb., is DA/SA, and fires .177 BBs at 380fps accurately enough to hit a 1 inch bottle cap from 10 yards.  The slide does not move when firing, but the pistol does field strip exactly like a Makarov, and it fits my CZ-82s holster.  And, I too wish there was a CZ-82 model available.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  General George S. Patton

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:55:14 AM »
You bet
I wish the CZ75 BB Gun was a true .177 Pellet Gun
If it was built by Umarex it would be very true to the Real Model
And, at less than a penny a pop, it would be fun (and cheep) practice
Here are pics of my Pellets Slingers
The Umarex Colt, 1911A1 with the Umarex Adjustable Sights, Extended Beavertail and Controls:

Here?s my Crosman Nitro Venom with 3-9X40mm Tactical, with an Adj Ob Lens, and a Rail Mounted M2 BiPod:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:11:51 PM by DenStinett »

Offline armed hiker

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »
Nice thinking guys!
I too have a Umarex mine is a CP88 and I agree it is great fun and accurate enough. I would like a CZ version (though the 1911 looks great too) but have not found one yet. I also have a walther PPK/S BB pistol, that one is not nearly as accurate but the co2 racks the metal slide when it fires so you have some felt recoil, very fun to blast tin cans with. Not in the same quality as the Umarex though.

I also have a RWS 52 that has been sitting in the safe for way too long, time to dust them off and have some fun. Den that NItro looks great is it quiet? My 52 has almost the same crack as a rimfire (it is .177), not much to do about it but I was surprised by the amount of noise.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
Den that NItro looks great is it quiet?

Hey AH:
Yes, that Nitro Pistol is very quite
Not much more that a BB Gun really
In fact, I think the CO2 powered U-Colt may be a bit loader
Plus, I can shoot quarter size groups at 30 yards with it too
And Golf Balls 50+

Offline KLR650

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »
A nitro piston air rifle is still a springer, a nitrogen spring springer instead of a steel spring springer.

No springer compoetes against a good PCP air rifle in power and accuracy, so if you want high power and high accuracy, go there.

At 45 FPE with a .25 cal JSB pellet, my BSA Lonestar will print 3/8" groups at 50 yards all day long. I shoot prairie dogs out to 100 yards with that rifle. It would be further except for Montana winds limit the range. Try that with any springer, including nitro piston, you care to use.

FWIW, I had a Crosman Nitro Piston in .22 cal, and it was 18 FPE and 2" groups at 50 yards on a good day. Got the BSA Lonestar, sold the Nitro Piston, and haven't looked back.

My BSA Lonestar blasts through a 1.5" thick pine board or 3/4" plywood with no problems. Try that with any springer air rifle. Prairie dogs are always complete pass throughs through any angle of shot on any part of the body at 100 yards. PCP is the only way to go in hunting air rifles, and mine takes the place of a .22LR shooting subsonic ammo for 4 cents per match-grade pellet....except the air rifle is usually more accurate.

Also, the accuracy I achieve is NEVER achieved with pellets commonly found at Wal-Mart or department stores. I shoot only JSB (Czech) and H&N (German) these days.

BTW, my groups are 5-shot groups, not 3-shot groups. Even springer air rifle sometimes shoot a good 3-shot group. Also, my groups are averaged from many groups, not a sweetheart group. Also, the killing power on game is in another league with a PCP compared to a springer. PCP air rifles gain power with heavy hunting pellets, not lose power as springers do.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:01:51 PM by KLR650 »

anything