Author Topic: Fixed power Vs. Variable power scopes for SHTF  (Read 20736 times)

Offline atn729

Fixed power Vs. Variable power scopes for SHTF
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
I was wondering what do people think about fixed power scopes vs. variable power scopes?

I run a fixed power (SS 10x mil/mil with offset red dot) for my hunting/prac-tac competition rifle
I run a USO SN-3 5-25 mil/mil for my F/TR competition rifle.

I have heard that fixed power scopes are more durable but at the same time, I bet I could run over my USO scope with a truck and it would be fine. Could you guys list some advantages or disadvantages as you see them?

The purpose of the scope is for an all purpose bolt action rifle. The caliber will be 308.

Offline SerenityNetworks

• EzySetup
Re: Fixed power Vs. Variable power scopes for SHTF
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »
Both with the rifle's use being "all purpose" and with the range of a .308 (zero to 500+ yards), I believe the "pros" of a variable scope are readily apparent.  For closer distances, being able to adjust the scope to a lower power will make target acquisition more rapid.  At father distances, or close distances where accuracy is essential, being able to adjust the scope to a higher power is better. 

I can't speak to the statistics on failure percentages related to fixed versus variable powered scopes.  However in my (very limited) experience, scope failures have been primarily due to reticle issues.  I did have one seal issue, but it was at the front objective on a fixed power scope.  I've had no seal failures on any variable power scopes.  In fact, all my failures were on fixed power scopes.  However that may be because my fixed power scopes are not near the quality of my variable power scopes.

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

NRA Life Member
There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them. - Malcolm Muggeridge