Author Topic: No front fiber optic sight for tactical sport that doesn't need drilling?  (Read 1732 times)

Offline ckohler3

I want to replace my front sight with a fiber optic but I definitely don't want to put a drill to my gun. I don't see any options from czc that doesn't require drilling.

Offline Matt101

They all need drilling. Dawson sights are slotted but you still need to finish them off.

It's easy to do. Tape up the slight, go slow, use lube, don't push to hard. Drill right to left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Croe

I used a super small round file.  Didn't take long.  Ive seen videos of folks using a drill, not something I wanted to try, given my luck.

Offline nachomax

Hello all,

I am also concerned about taking a drill to the front slide.  I've seen videos on Youtube and clearly see that one guy got into the visible part of the slide with the drill, and knowing my luck, I don't want to deface my gun. :o  That being said, if the Dawson has a slot, I imagine it makes it easier to start it and or file slowly as it was suggested.

Which Dawson fiber optic sight (height, width) do you guys recommend with the stock rear sight?

Thanks!

Offline leightoncash

I recently installed some Dawson spo1 sights. I was surprised to see that it had a set screw that went down to fill the space that the pin used to take. Much easier than Drilling.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline hansb57

I installed a front sight that needed drilling yesterday.
A small drill (smaller size then necessary) was used just to mark the sight and I then used a triangular file to file a slot and a small round file to give it its final size.
I feel the pin is there to keep the barrel bushing in and only secondary to keep the sight in.
If you file the hole slightly to  large its no problem.
It is a 10 minute job.

Offline Skout

I just drilled mine out. Quick and easy, just run the drill fast and straight. Common drill bits are designed to only cut one way and there is very little risk of hogging out the hole, unless you really go at it. The plus side is that you now have the sight fitted to the pin.