Author Topic: anyone considering running the Ruger PC carbine for 3 gun?  (Read 12688 times)

Offline MoRivera

Re: anyone considering running the Ruger PC carbine for 3 gun?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »
Did you ever try to take it down without locking the bolt back?  Maybe that could have messed something up?

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »
Did you ever try to take it down without locking the bolt back?  Maybe that could have messed something up?

I believe that is impossible, since the top of the chamber mates with the bolt face, there is a male to female component lock up designed there.

As seen above the feed ramp in this picture. https://imgur.com/SM3Ylh0

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 12:34:58 PM »

I believe that is impossible, since the top of the chamber mates with the bolt face, there is a male to female component lock up designed there.

That's why I asked, like maybe it was somehow forced in/out and screwed something up.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »

That's why I asked, like maybe it was somehow forced in/out and screwed something up.

Nope, the issue lies within the takedown on the forend assembly. They use a tapered pin that mates with a recessed section of the receiver, unfortunately the taper is too long and will always walk itself out. They designed it to be easy to takedown, but it makes it easy to come apart while firing also.

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
Crap, Well keep us posted. especially if you make a video on it. I put one on layaway last week and hoping to pick it up next friday. I'm looking forward to loading one bullet for both carbine and pistol.

I hope Ruger treats you right. Have you read about this problem on any other forums?
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 03:51:54 PM »
Crap, Well keep us posted. especially if you make a video on it. I put one on layaway last week and hoping to pick it up next friday. I'm looking forward to loading one bullet for both carbine and pistol.

I hope Ruger treats you right. Have you read about this problem on any other forums?

I have not seen any mention of it anywhere else, I suspect it is due to the popularity of public range users and very few competitive users. When running it hard in USPSA/Steel Challenge is where the issue became obvious for me. I have a video on my phone just have to upload it after work.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
As promised here are the videos.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
well dang. thanks for posting the vid. I'll have to check that.
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »
ran the PC Carbine in USPSA this weekend. no issues. I didn't think to torque the barrel during firing like you have demonstrated, I'll try that next time and see what happens.
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 11:34:05 AM »
Ok so I have a little update. My father (machinist) was able to cure the problem of the forend coming loose. I'm in talks with Rugers PCC group leader on how to correct this for the future. What it comes down to is that they used the same takedown mechanism on a 10/22 and adapted it to the PC9. Unfortunately the extreme taper on the locking lever does not provide enough of a positive lock while firing a 9mm vs a .22lr to keep the two pieces together. I'll update again with the fix but after I'm finished talking to Ruger. I have now owned the carbine for two months and shot all of 40 rounds through it with three trips back to Ruger. With the fix I have now fired over 400 rounds in two days with zero issues. I took second in PCC in my first ever USPSA match with a rifle as well as 1st in PCCO and high overall in a Steel Challenge match out of 70 shooters. I hope to have more info soon, but I'm just glad we were able to get it running correctly.

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
Around here all 3-gun matches require more than a PCC.  The shortest rifle distance is about 100 yards.  The last match there were several out to 515 yards.  I initially considered using a M1 carbine, but that wouldn't cut it at those distances. 

Where in the country are you that 3-gun rifle isn't really a long distance?

I'm shoot in VA, and WV.
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »
Well, I finally received word back. They don't approve of the modification to make their firearm safe and reliable. If you are looking to use one of these carbines for USPSA/Steel Challenge etc. Good luck! They are unable to remedy this issue at the factory and they can only offer you more magazines for your time wasted and match fees down the drain. Great for a range toy, competition I would pass onto something reliable if you are going to attend major matches and wish to be a serious competitor.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2018, 06:21:00 PM »
I shot mine at a knockdown match and had no issues, ran like a champ and did really well.  Sorry to hear that yours had such problems.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:54:33 PM by MoRivera »

Offline newageroman

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »
They don't approve of the modification to make their firearm safe and reliable.
Who is they? is it Ruger or USPSA?

For the guy asking about 3 gun matches with short distances, I don't think he's used this for 3gun, just USPSA and steel, which are both relatively short distances (~30yds max).

I zeroed my red dot in this weekend and was able to hit paper plates at 100 bagged. No issues, but forgot to try the torque thing again. I ran it in USPSA a couple weeks ago and only had minor shooter imposed issues.

Great match results BTW!
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2018, 02:03:58 PM »
They don't approve of the modification to make their firearm safe and reliable.
Who is they? is it Ruger or USPSA?

They being Ruger. It really sucks because I do well with it, so many people ask to check it out etc. I can only let them know it was not reliable for me enough to recommend it for competition. It's not just a bad batch either, since I am able to do it with every carbine I've handled so far (3 now). I'm still going to use mine until I feel like the lack of proper pistol grip and short under barrel hand guard effect my results. I'm a thumbs over shooter on my AR platform so I've got my thumb a little warm a few times ha.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:06:01 PM by RocketRyan »