Author Topic: Question for those that conceal carry and compete...?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Crossfaced

Question for those that conceal carry and compete...?
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:22:03 PM »
How important is it to you that your CCW and your competition gun are similar? Similarly, how many CCW their comp gun?

I?m really getting hung up on this. My guns are so dissimilar that it?s concerning me. My comp gun, a Shadow 2 has such a crisp light trigger, great sight picture and feel. My carry gun is a S&W and nothing like a CZ. I went to shoot my CCW today and was really surprised. I shoot both a lot but I?m so comfortable with the Shadow the S&W feels like a hunk of mis shapen plastic junk.

Offline IronicTwitch

Re: Question for those that conceal carry and compete...?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 11:30:28 PM »
Upgrade your carry to a PCR or P01 and you won't think twice about it again!

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:39:18 PM »
I compete with a Shadow now and carry a P-07 or a Shield. I give up some accuracy to get concealability, weight and not have a legal problem with an overly light trigger.   

I have done a little competing with my P-07.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline Crossfaced

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 11:53:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies. FYI I?m not opposed to polymer guns. The P07 is a definite consideration. The PCR and P01 are hard to find in my area.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
I don't think it's ll that important if you put in some consistent range time and practice with all your guns.  I think there's a lot to take away from competing that will translate well to carry in terms of general gun handling and technique.  I shoot a lot of SAO pistols for IDPA/USPSA, but I carry striker and DA/SA guns, and even rotate those in once in a while for matches.  But I still always bring one of my carry pistols to just about every range session.  I like shooting different guns, but I haven't experienced any difficulties adjusting immediately.

One thing I did do purposely was to always hit the ambi paddle mag release on my HK's with my thumb just like with the buttons on all my other pistols to keep that consistent, rather than using my trigger finger on the right side even though that may be a bit easier.  I also slingshot back into battery after reloading on all my guns to keep that consistent, as some pistols have releases that are harder to work than others.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:38:52 PM by MoRivera »

Offline inkw8ll

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »
I hope I'm not repeating anything someone said, but I carry a Sig on (226) and off (239) duty and compete with a CZ TSO. Only thing similar is caliber and that was done intentionally.  My train of thought is competing is practice for movement, handling of the a firearm with the rush. Accuracy is practicing with whatever gun you own. Know your sight for each gun you own. You can do both and know when you pick up that gun what you're using it for. They are tools for the right job.
CZ TSO 9mm

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 12:56:58 PM »
In my opinion its not a bad idea but not one I do all year round.

I compete with my SP-01 or my 75BD and during the MN winters(or 70%of the time) I carry a P-01
however in the summer I carry a Kahr CW9 I practice with it and like has been said the fimiliarity is in the handling and technique for me.

It is a very diffrent summer carry but I am pretty sure I can protect what needs protecting with it.

Great question,

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Crossfaced

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 01:57:23 PM »
Thanks guys...excellent info and a lot to take away. Probably be a lot easier if CZ didn?t make so many nice guns!