Author Topic: Light mounting solutions?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Millerti87

Light mounting solutions?
« on: April 07, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »
Hi all!

I decided my Bren needs a weapon light. I?m struggling to figure how I want to mount it. I don?t see a lot of resources from other people who have mounting solutions.

I prefer to go with a Streamlight Protac. I can justify spending $100+ on a light that?ll be very rarely used. I don?t do night shooting sadly :(.

I can get a Haley strategic SBR Light Mount and a Streamlight Protac or get the KNS precision picatinny rails and Mount the light to the rail and the switch on top.

My Bren 805 SBR btw!
https://m.imgur.com/a/9NEpe

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Light mounting solutions?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:49:56 AM »
I have my Surefire G2 Nitrolon mounted on the left side of the handguard right ahead of the foregrip, so I can actuate it with the off hand thumb. I think I paid $20 for the mount at WalMart. Cheap setup, but it works very well. :)

Offline thehun

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:28:11 AM »
So here is a question...you spend $1400+ on a rifle...maybe more like I did when they originally came out...and you can't justify a $100+ on a proper weaponlight... :o :o :o :o

I run a Streamlight ProTac HL-X...mounted on a Magpul Rail Light Mount...pressure pad mounted between front sight (flipped around like the Czechs) and the Magpul mount...its about as perfect as it gets...$130 total invested for a dedicated weaponlight is not bad at all. I have a post below showing how its setup.

$130 bucks is pretty dang good investment for a dedicated light with pressure pad and a mount....however armoredman's setup is not a bad one either...I would recommend to mount the flash light either slightly behind or flush with the front sling mount of the gun to keep it out of the gas vent from the gas plug...

Offline Millerti87

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
So here is a question...you spend $1400+ on a rifle...maybe more like I did when they originally came out...and you can't justify a $100+ on a proper weaponlight... :o :o :o :o

I run a Streamlight ProTac HL-X...mounted on a Magpul Rail Light Mount...pressure pad mounted between front sight (flipped around like the Czechs) and the Magpul mount...its about as perfect as it gets...$130 total invested for a dedicated weaponlight is not bad at all. I have a post below showing how its setup.

$130 bucks is pretty dang good investment for a dedicated light with pressure pad and a mount....however armoredman's setup is not a bad one either...I would recommend to mount the flash light either slightly behind or flush with the front sling mount of the gun to keep it out of the gas vent from the gas plug...

Yeah, it doesn?t make much sense. I did get my pistol for >$1,400, so I have that. But I have an ACOG on there now (The picture shows my AccuPower before the ACOG came in lol), and all of the mags, etc.

I don?t do any night or low light shooting (yet) at the moment. Maybe in the future if something opens up in my area I would definetly love to explore that. My thing is with my budget right now, the $130 could go towards ammo, or additional mags, or something that?ll get used significantly more. But, if I don?t get the light now, I may never get one (My first AR still doesn?t have one... its been needing one for almost a year now!).

I did go ahead and order the KNS Side Picatiny Rails, a Haley Strategic Thorntail SBR mount, and a Streamlight Protac 2. I had some money sitting in my amazon wallet that needed to be burned, so that made the decision easy for me (for the light and the mount)!

Offline thehun

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
A light is extremely useful inside a house...even a powerful one.

In my previous job...when I played "bad" guy...and the "good" guys cleared rooms in the dark...I couldn't gauge how close they were...then once the good guys deployed the strobe feature...I was disoriented beyond belief...caused headaches and I was done...

A good rule of thumb...have a handgun and a long gun with a light ready to go when you open up the safe...that way...you always are prepared...on a long gun...either have it easily thumb activated or pressure pad activated without compromising your hold on the gun.

anything