Author Topic: This article was written for this section.  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Rickytick

This article was written for this section.
« on: April 28, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »

Changing culture
by Bill Shuey

There is an ongoing conversation in the United States about what should be done regarding the continuing slaughter of people with guns. Opinions range from taking all firearms to controlling the age at which one can purchase a firearm, and everything in between. What we hear little regarding is the way our culture has changed and why.
Admittedly I am old. Being old brings perspective; it allows one to compare how things were to how they are. On the farm in rural Missouri in the 1950s there were lots of guns; my Dad had a single shot Remington .22 and a Model 97 Winchester shotgun. He taught me how to properly and safely use the .22 and placed emphasis on its one function being to kill.
My brother and I went to the movies every Saturday afternoon. Lash Larue, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, and The Cisco Kid, amongst others were our heroes. The interesting thing is we never saw a graphic depiction of anyone getting shot; Autry was great at shooting guns out of the bad guy?s hands and Hoppy displayed the same skill. Now we get to see blood splattered on walls, floors, and even sometimes on the camera screen when there is gun violence.
Even war movies have changed drastically; I saw the Audie Murphy movie, To Hell and Back, and there were no body parts strung around and the Germans would just lean over or merely fall down as he shot them. I had killed rabbits, squirrels, and crows so I knew the movie wasn?t realistic but it was credible enough to convey the story. In the same vein, when a man and woman walked into a bedroom we knew what they were going to do, we didn?t need to watch the sex act on the screen.
When I was a kid almost everyone had a father and a mother and no matter how busy the family ate supper together every day. It was a time to share the day?s events and get quizzed about what had happened in school and our grades on a test. Now that men and women change partners when there is some perceived incompatibility, the single family home or step-parents is becoming the new normal. Within the black community many children never see their biological father and if they did he would be a role model for impregnating women and then leaving them to raise the child. I have an acquaintance whose daughter has five children; she is 20 and has never been married. Two is probably the more normal number of illegitimate children in a family.
The large inner-cities have always had a higher homicide rate than rural areas. The number of black homicides outnumbers white homicides 10 to 1, and blacks only represent 13% of the population. The recent slaughter in Florida would represent less than a normal month?s murders in Chicago during any given month. Perhaps the removal of Confederate monuments will alter the mindset.
I have noticed that the father and mother now are friends instead of the source of discipline and guidance. My sister-in-law died a few years back. At the viewing, a nephew of the deceased?s husband came with four boys; probably fourteen to eight. They were running around in the funeral home, wrestling, and in general being jerks; not a peep from the parents. Had I acted that way at a funeral, there would have been a double burial.
We didn?t know what video games were, we actually played games which didn?t involve killing or mayhem. We knew our friends and talked with them face to face, we didn?t sit across the room and text back and forth.
The world changed after the advent of the Great Society and the Vietnam War. LBJ made the need for a father in the home obsolete. The Vietnam War desensitized people to death as it was flashed across our television screens every evening by war correspondents. The sight of thousands of body bags marginalized life!
Liberals want to ignore the underlying problem; people have changed. Unless there is a societal U turn, things will only get worse. That is only the perspective of an ole guy.
Have a good week. Bill Shuey is a freelance writer in North Carolina.
Bill Shuey | April 28, 2018 at 8:16 am | URL: https://wp.me/p1uU0T-jld
Comment
   See all comments

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from NCRenegade.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.
Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
http://ncrenegade.com/editorial/changing-culture/

Offline rhart

Re: This article was written for this section.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:19:53 AM »
So true and so sad. One thing I wished he had touched upon is the take over of our educational systems by Leftists who brainwash our kids.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline v35

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »
Mr. Shuey shall be receiving a visit from the Ministry of Truth.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »
I've said this same thing from the beginning.  It's a societal problem.

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »
Good article, yet the biggest reason for for the way things are today wasn't even mentioned....which is the main reason why things are the way they are today.

Offline AlphaWhiskey9057

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 04:03:10 AM »
Well just look at other countries where they have already taken guns away.  clubs bats knives swords chains with a lock on the end.  Hospital floors bloodier than ever.  violence wont stop with no guns. 
Look at the school shootings.  each time a kid gets the guns from their parental figures.  the law says if you have minors or mentally ill people in your home lock up the weapons.  but they do not enforce these laws.  if they did, gun safes would sell out in stores across America.  people don't want to go to jail.  But the whole gun rights thing is not about gun control, as they say. 
And they want us to rely solely upon the government for safety?  there are neighborhoods that only ten years ago were nice to raise a family in.  now they are taken over by gangs.  the government has given zero reasons for us to trust them to keep us safe. 
A few years back someone was trying to break in my house.  I was drawing a bead on them as they were halfway n my window.  they ran off.  Cops wouldn't even dust for prints.  True story. 
If they take the guns it will only increase violence. 

anything