Author Topic: Suggested OAL for RMR 124 TC FMJ?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline daved20319

Suggested OAL for RMR 124 TC FMJ?
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »
 My P-07 scared me a bit last night, I was trying to determine max OAL and was coming up with something like 1.08"  :o!  Hey, Wobbly, you need to add a step to your technique: CLEAN BARREL FIRST!  All is well, though, I still need to do a thorough cleaning, but it's looking like the real number is going to be something like 1.12".

Anyway, I'm not exactly new to reloading, but semi-auto pistols are new for me.  Can't seem to find load data with a comparable bullet, so was hoping someone here had used these and could get me pointed in the right direction.  Thanks.

Dave

Offline George16

Re: Suggested OAL for RMR 124 TC FMJ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:08:58 PM »
I shoot these bullets exclusively for competition in USPSA. For my CZ pistols, ( shadow 2, TSO and czechmate), I load them at 1.102-1.104. That?s the safe OAL range I got after doing the plunk test on the barrel of each of the respective pistols to prevent any feeding problems.

The pistols are loaded with 4.1 Gr Winchester 231 for a 128-130 PF for uspsa production/minor. The czechmate is loaded with 6.41 Gr of CFE pistol for open major when I shoot it with the compensator.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
You can find load info on the Hodgdon (who now distributes Win powders) reloading data web site at...
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Use the data for either the 125gr Hornady HAP (OAL 1.069"), or the 125gr Sierra FMJ (OAL 1.090"). Since both OALs are shorter than the one you picked, either set of load data will work. Pick one and then work upward in very small increments from the Starting Load.

With that series of loads you can work out the specific requirements you have for the load (accuracy or other), and by starting low you can safely work through all the minor effects of the other variables.

Good luck !
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
The HAP has a lighter charge window because it's sized .356.  You're likely best off with the Sierra bullet data.

Offline noylj

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:33:27 AM »
COL is NOT defined by a specific gun.
Per Ramshot (and all other reloading suppliers):

?SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH ?COL?

It is important to note that the SAAMI ?COL? values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only. The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination. This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as...

1) magazine length (space),
2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel,
3) ogive or profile of the projectile, and
4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

? Always begin loading at the minimum "Start Load".
? Increase in 2% increments towards the Maximum Load.
? Watch for signs of excessive pressure.
? Never exceed the Maximum Load.?

Your COL (OAL) is determined by your barrel and your gun and your magazine. What worked in a pressure barrel or in my gun may have little to do with what will work in your gun. Load a couple of dummy rounds (no powder and no primer) to the max. COL (OAL) and see if it fits your magazine, feeds in your gun, and chambers in your barrel.

Seat the bullet slightly deeper until you achieve all three of these goals. This is the COL (OAL) for you in your gun with that make of bullet. You are the one in control. Enjoy it. You can make ammunition tailored to your gun and not have to load to the minimum COL (OAL) as do the factories.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:38:46 PM by Wobbly »

anything