Author Topic: More old guns (sorry, no pics till I dig it out of the safe)  (Read 510 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
I was looking for something else this morning and ran across this sales receipt from years ago.

I bought a Savage M1914 .22 pump with octagonal barrel from Clark's Gun Shop up in Warrenton, VA.  The receipt is dated 11-13-78.

Cost was $69.95 with $ 2.80 tax.

Got it home and there was a defect of some kind in the chamber.  It kept splitting  the .22 brass when you'd shoot it.  Sometimes the empty would hang up and you'd have to use a cleaning rod to knock it out of the barrel/chamber.

As luck would have it (my wife keeps telling me I have a guardian angel = I'm lucky, sometimes) about two weeks later a gun shop up in Minnesota or Wisconsin had an ad in Shotgun News for a brand new Savage M1914 .22 for about $15 plus shipping.  Took the old one off with a big crescent wrench, put some leather on the new barrel and screwed it in.  Transferred the sights, magazine tube/parts to the new barrel and sighted it in.  Still shot great the last time I shot it (30 plus years ago).

I really need to have another old gun day, or two, at the range with the boys so they can see what all those old rifles/handguns shoot like compared to their new stuff.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything