Author Topic: Informal test of IMI 9mm JHP 115gr in my 75B CGW red dot pistol  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Joe L

Very windy today in the desert, 20-30 mph winds from 2 o'clock.  I haven't been to the range much lately, so I decided not to worry about scores, just get in some trigger time with my CGW 75B.  I shot 100 rounds of bullseye target practice with the Kadet slide, then switched to the 9mm slide so that I could test some IMI 9mm 115gr JHP ammo that Midway had a special on recently. 

Note, the wind was from the right and I didn't want to change the zero on my red dot, so I shot one target before this one to see where to place the hold point for 50 yards from a wrist rest in this wind.  No video, cameras would get blown over and the sound would be awful, even with good sound gear, plus I am lazy.  As expected, I needed to hold right, but not too high, so I put up target 5 below and shot two five shot groups and the results were promising.  Overall a 5-1/2" 10 shot group with each five shot group around 3".  Ok for the conditions.  The IMI rounds have blue holes in the photos below. 

Next I just pulled out 10 rounds of Atlanta Arms 9mm JHP 115gr and fired all 10 using the same aim point on target 5.  These 10 are the yellow holes in target 5 and the group is good for the conditions, better than the IMI ammo.  Well, I decided to give the IMI ammo one more target, see target 6 below, where I fired off 10 rounds again, no changes from the setup used for target 5.  Another 5-1/2" group. 

Conclusions?  The IMI ammo is pretty good.  I'd like to test it on a calm day when I have been shooting regularly.  I'm thinking maybe 2" at 50 yards compared to 1-1/4" for the Atlanta Arms ammo in this pistol with good conditions.  The IMI ammo looks to me to be a good choice for carry gun ammo, good enough that I may switch to it in the P-07 after a few test targets.  Way better than most inexpensive 9mm JHP ammo. 

I'm just glad I got some trigger time.  I'll do some range visit videos on calmer days when the equipment will stay put and the bullet holes can be closer together. 

Joe
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:12:28 PM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Rcher

Re: Informal test of IMI 9mm JHP 115gr in my 75B CGW red dot pistol
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »
@Joe L - have you tried S&B 115 JHP? It is even cheaper than IMI, but surprisingly very accurate. I compared both of them and always had better results with S&B.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:02:42 PM »
@Joe L - have you tried S&B 115 JHP? It is even cheaper than IMI, but surprisingly very accurate. I compared both of them and always had better results with S&B.

I have tried the S&B ammo.  What I tried was loaded much hotter than the AA match ammo and the primers were harder.  For bullseye I wanted as light of a commercial load as I could find.  The IMI feels very similar to the AA and shoots to about the same impact location, so I could use it without changing the zero much, if at all.  I'd have to change the hold for the S&B and for most defensive ammo due to the higher muzzle velocities.   

But, it's good to know that the quality control on the S&B is good.  For anything other than my own bullseye match gun, it could be a good choice. 

I'm not always capable of shooting good groups at 50 yards, but on many days when I am "on", I've shot five shot groups less than 1.5" with the 75B 9mm slide with a CGW 10x bushing using AA ammo.  That combination is going to be hard to beat, but the AA ammo is expensive.  There is some evidence of the potential in the photo above, where 5 of the 10 AA holes make a 1-1/4" group, even on a windy day with a rusty shooter.  My opinion is that the shooter rust contributed to the spread in the other 5 shots.  Plus i was in a hurry by then.   

Joe 

Offline Rcher

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:09:44 AM »

I have tried the S&B ammo.  What I tried was loaded much hotter than the AA match ammo and the primers were harder.  For bullseye I wanted as light of a commercial load as I could find.  The IMI feels very similar to the AA and shoots to about the same impact location, so I could use it without changing the zero much, if at all.  I'd have to change the hold for the S&B and for most defensive ammo due to the higher muzzle velocities.   

But, it's good to know that the quality control on the S&B is good.  For anything other than my own bullseye match gun, it could be a good choice. 

I'm not always capable of shooting good groups at 50 yards, but on many days when I am "on", I've shot five shot groups less than 1.5" with the 75B 9mm slide with a CGW 10x bushing using AA ammo.  That combination is going to be hard to beat, but the AA ammo is expensive.  There is some evidence of the potential in the photo above, where 5 of the 10 AA holes make a 1-1/4" group, even on a windy day with a rusty shooter.  My opinion is that the shooter rust contributed to the spread in the other 5 shots.  Plus i was in a hurry by then.   

Joe

Well, I'm much worse marksman, my distance rarely exceeds 10 yards at indoor range. I usually shoot 124gr FMJ more accurate than JHP, and was really surprised that S&B 115gr JHP accuracy was no worse than for FMJ. It seems to be hotter, but I almost feel no difference on 6-10 yards. With IMI Di-Cut 115gr JHP the story is different and my groups are bigger.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 06:53:20 AM »
I can't tell much about ammo at short distances, other than what it feels like from a recoil standpoint.  Variations in powder and powder load will show up at 100 yards, that's for sure.  I can usually shoot groups around 6" at 100 yards with the 75B and P-09 and the Atlanta Arms ammo and the spread will not be predominantly in the vertical.  Cheap ammo may show 10"-20" variation at 100 yards in the vertical, which makes it unusable from a training standpoint.    I can't detect any variation from one AA lot to the next, either.

I like shooting Remington UMC 115 FMJ at short distances with new shooters because the zero and feel is similar to the AA load and is readily available at low prices, but I don't shoot it past 25 yards with any expectations of good results.   

Joe

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 11:47:43 AM »
The S&B 115gr FMJ is my go to 9mm ammo.  It works very well for 25 yd target shooting.  I use it to warm up and many times my warm up targets have higher scores than my "fancy target shooting" ammo. 8)

Offline Joe L

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 05:38:55 AM »
I'll try the S&B next.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Joe